Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Torque Converter?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 04:51 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Torque Converter?

My 98 D1 116K stalls immediately when put in gear I assume because the torque converter is locked up. As soon as it is put in gear there is a clunk and it stalls. I had no signs that it was going and I have babied it so I am wondering what caused it. I imagine there is either an internal leak or a clogged valve but It could be a solenoid right? Or would it throw a code? It is not giving any codes. I have a 96 tranny I just pulled out and it is sitting in the yard but before I make the big step of pulling out the other I want to make sure I am doing the right thing. Is there anything anyone can suggest I do to try and save the old tranny before I do the swap? If not what should I do to the new used 125K tranny while it is out.

Old 09-03-2011, 09:45 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

If you have the same tranny I have in a 97, it does not have any solenoids, all old skool hydraulics. Not really telling the ECU very much, so probably no codes. Have you changed fluid and filter (recently, a while ago, never)? Fluid level OK? Color and smell OK (red and does not smell like burned coffee)?

From the RAVE workshop manual, automatic gearbox section (you do have a copy, it's free?):

SYMPTOM 3 - No drive from rest with ’D’ selected
Select ’1’
Vehicle drives
FAULT - No 2 freewheel
If No drive
Carry out main line pressure check
If Normal pressure
FAULT - Clutch A
If No pressure
FAULT - Blocked filter or pump failure
if Low pressure
FAULT - Restricted filter or sticking primary

regulator

So you are correct, it could be something simple sticking or blocked, like the filter. In the forum tech section you will find a write up on transmission filter change, with photos to show you what to expect. In the RAVE they show you how to attach a high pressure guage and test things, etc.

If you decide to swap tranny's, consider doing a rear main seal while tranny is out.

Old 09-04-2011, 07:07 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

So, when was the last time you changed your fluid? It may be more internal then a t/c although the t/c sounds like the problem.

Old 09-04-2011, 07:54 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Mike,

Is there a simple test to decide which (tranny vs transfer case)?

Old 09-04-2011, 08:40 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

The transfer case wont have any effect on this, his trans needs to be flushed with a special cleaner and then have the filter changed.
If that does not work then he needs to install the known good working trans.

Old 09-04-2011, 09:03 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
Mike,

Is there a simple test to decide which (tranny vs transfer case)?
You mentioned in another post about being separated by language, and I think it applies here also. I think "T/C" in Mike's post was an abbreviation for torque converter, based on thread context.

Isn't it nice how T/C can sometimes refer to transfer case, and other times torque converter?

Old 09-04-2011, 09:12 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by lordmorpheus
You mentioned in another post about being separated by language, and I think it applies here also. I think "T/C" in Mike's post was an abbreviation for torque converter, based on thread context.

Isn't it nice how T/C can sometimes refer to transfer case, and other times torque converter?
Bass or bass?
Read or read?
Right or right?

Only in America do our words have double meanings. lol

Old 09-04-2011, 11:56 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, I changed the fluid 6K miles ago when I did an engine swap. I replaced the rear main seal and all the other gaskets while I had the block on the table. Also cleaned all the sludge out of the top and bottom end. The fluid looks good and smells right. I will try the filter and pray but its is most likely swapin' time. I appreciate the input. This has been my favorite LR forum for sure. If I can get back on the road without having to sell blood for money I would like to make a donation if I could find where to do so. It might actually turn out good. Because I broke down I heard about a 98 D1 in town with a bad motor for sale for a few hundred $. Got to love cheap parts!