Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Trade Value? Please help

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 07:42 AM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Trade Value? Please help

Found somebody who's interested in trading their 99 Audi a4 2.8 quattro for my 98 discovery... Needless to say the car has around 140k overall good condition but needs alignment and front bearings ASAP. Other than that the biggest issue is that the Audi is a manual... I only know automatic! I do need to learn one way or another but. The Audi has black leather interior, I believe it has a sunroof and power options. The interior is nice and the body panels are is good condition. Less miles and slightly higher KBB value - is it worth the trade? Behind mini cooper and land rover I've always wanted an Audi a4. I've heard only good about their all wheel drive system not to mention its better on gas. Should I go for it? Maybe I could fix it up, replace all the bearings and touch her up then sell her or trade her for a newer discovery! 99-2002?

AUDI A4 V6 5 SPD AWD

Old 06-04-2011, 08:23 AM
Banned

To elaborate on the values:
Both vehicles are within same year range 1998-1999. Both vehicles have a engine missfire. Both vehicles have some issues related to the front end suspension or wheels (rover needs new caliper mounting bolts and hub seals at the least) (Audi needs front bearings and pads). Both vehicles have issue with sun roof. Both are full time all wheel drive. Both are European (both are owned by German corporate - BMW and Audi). Both have leather interior and power options. Both have notorious issues to be addressed.

KBB values the Audi for private party In fair condition, assuming some mechanical work is needed - at $4,725. In good condition at $5,350

KBB values the Rover for private party in fair condition, assuming some mechanical work is needed - at $3,200. In good condition as $3,800

Old 06-04-2011, 08:24 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

But why is there is mis fire that he wont fix? Blown head gasket?
Sunroof will not close.
How much are the hub assemblies for the wheels that are bad?
Could be a great deal, could not.
I prefer to stay with what I know.
If its to good to be true...

Old 06-04-2011, 10:15 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Spike555
But why is there is mis fire that he wont fix? Blown head gasket?
Sunroof will not close.
How much are the hub assemblies for the wheels that are bad?
Could be a great deal, could not.
I prefer to stay with what I know.
If its to good to be true...
Always good to get your feedback spike!
In reality the trade is not near as good as it may sound... I've done a lot of previous research on Audi A4. Unfortunately for the year 1999 Audi a4 did not do very well. These cars are notorious for their high price high mainentence costs and have issues with the wheel bearings always ****ting the bed. Like the disco series 1, these audis have issues with the transmission (mostly in the automatic though). Buying or trading for an Audi a4 is a HUDGE risk... On 1 side they can be extremely reliable cars, especially with their awd system, but like the rover - if neglected or if routine maintenance is not kept in check then these cars can be living hell!

The sunroof is almost completely closed supposedly. As for the bearings... Around $100 each! Not to mention labour.

As for the missfire, well my theory is that a lot of people tend to stray away from this type of labour intensive work. Who knows how long my disco had its current cylinder 6 missfire - no po ever bothered to get it fixed either. So perhaps its the same story with the Audi. The guy says the Audi still runs so.

It would take some time for me to get used to the mechanical aspects of an Audi, but if I could get it all fixed up then I'd be in business. Again I've always wanted a better conditioned discovery. This may be my big chance! This combined with getting a second job should get me much closer to my goal of owning a discovery 2!

Old 06-04-2011, 10:26 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its a Volkswagon...enough said. Not that the LR has much of a better reputation but I would rather work on a Rover than a VW 10 out of 10 times.

Old 06-04-2011, 11:37 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by CUpgt
Its a Volkswagon...enough said. Not that the LR has much of a better reputation but I would rather work on a Rover than a VW 10 out of 10 times.
I can't emphasize enough my intentions: trade my rover for a newer mid line luxury sporty sedan. Fix it up and find someone who owns a decent disco 2 for who is eager to trade it for some with better mpg! Ultimately I'm looking for a discovery 2. My disco is to beat up and needs still to much work. I need something more convincing. Not every landy owner is eager to keep their landy so I'm counting on higher gas prices and a good trade to get what I really want.

Old 06-04-2011, 01:16 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Stay away from luxury sport unless it's an Acura or Lexus. Even then, the parts CAN be more expensive than their Honda or Toyota counterparts, unless they are the exact same part. Find some highschool or college kid that has an Accord or Civic or Camry and trade for that. They run forever, parts are cheap, and get great gas mileage. Then it will be way easier to trade for a 99 or 2000 D2, when its owner gets tired of $4 per gallon gas. Personally.... I'd buy a 94-97 Honda Accord (even though they are UGLY) and keep it. Drive it until you have saved enough money to pay cash for a 2000 D2, and then you'll have a back up car for when money is tight, or when you want to do head gaskets on your new rover.

Old 06-04-2011, 01:46 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Education is something gained by learning either from the efforts or mistakes that you make and that of those around you.

I have only been acquainted with you for a very short time, but you came roaring in really wanting a LR really bad, jumped into one big mess and it sounds like you cannot wait to get out of it and into what may be an even bigger problem.

You need to slow down, do not be in such a hurry to achieve greatness. The Discovery II is no great thing to have either unless someone has addressed the inherent weaknesses and design shortcomings associated with them.

Good luck with whatever path you end up stumbling along.

Try to find a solid older Volvo. They were true tanks.

Old 06-04-2011, 02:28 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
Try to find a solid older Volvo. They were true tanks.
That's true. Find an 80's 240, and it will also run forever, and parts are pretty cheap. The down fall would be the rear wheel drive if you live some place that actually gets a real winter..... but snow tires or chains can fix that.

Old 06-04-2011, 02:44 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Dude you should flee from that piece of excrement as fast as your feet can take you. Have you done a search on the reliability of the quattro traction control system for that year? With a wet moldy interior and a misfire? Wow....

Just to reiterate what others have said - I have two '93 940 volvo wagons and the good one has 250,000 miles on the clock. Still going strong, not a thing wrong with either one - they are quite boring, really, just fill the tank, change the oil and they simply go.

Quick Reply: Trade Value? Please help