Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Trade Value? Please help

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 02:55 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The poor condition of my current 98 disco is the motive for my speed and desperation for a newer disco. The slight cosmetic change of the disco 2, along with greater HP and torque make it more desirable. The added traction feature of the disco 2 combined with the legendary diff locking, coil suspension and full time awd system make the disco 2 my prime goal! My only complaint... It's not a diesel. I've heard that disco 2 has a weaker drivetrain and I'm fully aware of the faulty 2003 models. I'm aware that disco 2 gets only 12 mpg new. Nevertheless I'm obsessed and want the disco 2. I want to start all over with a stock disco 2, that's been well maintained by po. I want to slowly fix all the bugs and quirks then add mods as I see fit! I have every intention of getting a second permanent vehicle as backup - what that will be I don't know. Generally I don't like Asian vehicles though. I've already learned so much about land rover and the discovery... I'm confident that im ready for the disco 2. I will find one. Weather its a 99 or my beloved 2004.

Our opinions will differ on the paths we choose, but our common ground is land rover.

Old 06-04-2011, 09:05 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

No, the disco 2 doesn't have a universally weaker drive train. Maybe a more expensive to repair drive train.....
The cv-joints in a disco 2 are bigger, but they are in rubber boots instead of enclosed in a swivel ball.
The disco 1 has strong swivel pins instead of ball joints like the disco 2.
The disco 2 transfer case is stronger and quieter (but still very noisy compared to a weaker chain drive tc).
The 03 and newer disco 2 has a MUCH stronger automatic transmission.
The disco 1 has full floating rear axle, but I've heard the Disco 2 rear shafts were made stronger.... might not be true.

So pretty much they are different, but for the most part land rover was trying to improve it, although depending on your definition of improvement they might not have achieved that for everyone.

Old 06-05-2011, 11:03 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

As a Lot of us know, LR changed hands frequently and the D2 had a lot of mfg cost cutting changes that was supposed to make them cheaper to build. A lot of these changes induced more problems and weaknesses, not improvements. Like the sealed drive shafts that you cannot lube and when they fail, they kill the tranny by punching a big hole in it. And most do not have the "Legendary Diff Locking" as you say.

trade my rover for a newer mid line luxury sporty sedan. Fix it up and find someone who owns a decent disco 2 for who is eager to trade it for some with better mpg! Ultimately I'm looking for a discovery 2. My disco is to beat up and needs still to much work.A simple question: Why did you buy it? Another point to consider: it is almost impossible to trade for a newer mid-line luxo and fix it up and get back anything near what you put into it. Making a profit is really rare.

I think you are enamored by the Green Oval. That is a serious illness to contract and can be extremely difficult and costly to cure.

I would forget about Luxury and other LR's for now. Buy something cheap or solid that will last you a while, do not waste money "fixing it up". try getting by spending as little as possible. SAVE MONEY and PAY CASH for a carefully evaluated purchase whenever you find something worthwhile, even if it is not a Rover. You seem to have convinced yourself the DII is the answer but it may be an even worse choice. Lot's more dealer dependent I hear. That equals more expensive.

There are lots of other good choices out there if you take you time and look before you leap.

But it's yours, suit yourself.

Old 06-05-2011, 11:08 PM

I would love another Volvo 240 or a Porsche 944 5 speed NA. There a re a lot them around here for 4 to 6 grand in immaculate condition.

I was at the recycler getting my 98 DI rear driveshaft the other day. They had a Volvo four wheel drive unit on display in their showroom. It looked like a work of art. Had a fine finish on it and no junky looking linkages like the Disco I CDL. Our linkages look like they were built with one of those Chrismas Toy sets that used to be popular in the 60's. What were those called?

Old 06-06-2011, 10:40 AM
TReK
Received 420 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
IOur linkages look like they were built with one of those Chrismas Toy sets that used to be popular in the 60's. What were those called?
I believe you're looking for "Erector sets."

Old 06-08-2011, 02:38 PM

That's it, I had one when I was in grammar school. You could probably build a decent CDL Linkage from one of those sets.

Since the linkage merely rotates the triangular piece at the bottom of that configuration of weak parts, I guess you could cut a hole right thru the side of the tunnel and put a separate mechanical linkage directly on that selector plate and just disconnect the CDl portion of the existing linkage and leave the current shifter just to shift from high to low, could you not?

Anyone totally familar with the existing setup know why this would not work?

Mine is still doing well after my extensive teardown and reassy, but I was just wondering. I know there is one company that has a pneumatic setup to install on D2's that have the tab but no linkage.