Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

tranny/t case trouble

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 11:01 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agreed... I have a spare 95 parts truck so if it is the diff, I could just swap the axel....I am just not convinced that that is the problem...should the rear end not engage? In addition when in diff lock it still has no forward motion.....anybody else have any suggestions? If it is a tranny its going to the junkyard.... it it is a t case, diff or something else that is easy...I might swap out

Old 01-02-2015, 11:03 PM
Overlanding

Shoot it is a 98 not a 2008.....freaking autocorrect

Old 01-03-2015, 09:01 AM
Baja
Received 227 Likes on 197 Posts

IMO if you sit still and the front prop is spinning the front diff is broken in someway, if you put it in diff lock and are sure its locked and still no movement then idk could be trans or tc issue, guess we need someone smarter to chime in

I had a trans die on me in a GM just shut off car walk in store, come out no trans so....

Old 01-04-2015, 05:23 PM
Overlanding
Default 1998 disco tranny/t case trouble

To follow up, i disconnected tje tranny cooler line and it is pumping atf...so its def not the pump in the tranny... that leads me to belueve that it is a sheared output or the tranny. When i pputhe tranny in drive to 1st nothing, then when i go though neutral to reverse nothing. When i put it in park, there is a bit of grinding. I am stumped.. its a work truck so if it any amount of work, im pulling parts and sending it to the junkyard. If anyone wants to chime in with some potential diagnostic tips i would appreciate it. Leaning towards a broken t case, but not sure.
im going to pull the center console and make sure the linkage is working.. the tranny linkage is working so at least i am narrowing it down.
Thanks in advance

Old 01-04-2015, 05:51 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 401 Likes on 385 Posts

Just a heads up.......You should always follow up by posting in the same thread you started so folks can read what you've already done/tried and then they don't have to switch between both, a bit of a pita.

Yeah, make sure you have a working tc shifter before you throw the baby out with the bath water. If it's not shifting all the way it will pop out of high/low, lock/unlock into neutral which sounds like that is exactly what's happened. When you don't hear something explode it's usually something simple.

How do you know the transmission cable is for sure shifting the tranny? Did you watch it while somebody shifted it?

Old 01-04-2015, 06:28 PM
Baja

Threads merged

The grinding is the trans spinning when you put it in park grinding the park gear, like the t/c is not engaged

I just find it odd you say the front drive shaft spins with the truck stationary

Old 01-04-2015, 08:06 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by TOM R
Threads merged

The grinding is the trans spinning when you put it in park grinding the park gear, like the t/c is not engaged

I just find it odd you say the front drive shaft spins with the truck stationary

Yeah its weird. I am going to put it up on jackstands change the filter flush and refill, next I am going to verify that the diffs are not blown up by turning one of the wheels on each axle, next is taking the 3 bolt inspection plate off to make sure the torque converter is spinning and last but not least is taking apart the console to make sure the t case shift mechanism is working properly. After that maybe take off the t case inspection plate off to at the bottom and at the shifter to see what is going on in there. If it failed I should see busted gears or selector fork/shafts. If none of that works time to find a new one here in Columbus Ohio

Old 01-04-2015, 08:29 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by TOM R
Threads merged

Thank you sir!

I was going to say the same thing too, parking pawl but that sounds more like ratcheting than grinding.

I was flipping between the posts to look up the front shaft spinning and gave up. For the tcase to split itself internally there would be noise and there wasn't.

When they open the inspection cover on the tc it should be full of beautiful sparkles in that case.

Old 01-04-2015, 08:33 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by cburns
Yeah its weird. I am going to put it up on jackstands change the filter flush and refill, next I am going to verify that the diffs are not blown up by turning one of the wheels on each axle, next is taking the 3 bolt inspection plate off to make sure the torque converter is spinning and last but not least is taking apart the console to make sure the t case shift mechanism is working properly. After that maybe take off the t case inspection plate off to at the bottom and at the shifter to see what is going on in there. If it failed I should see busted gears or selector fork/shafts. If none of that works time to find a new one here in Columbus Ohio
Sounds like a plan..... there really isn't a magic test to see what's up other than what your doing. Wheels moving side to side removes axles/cv's. I would think the front shaft may move if something is being friction coupled but it would offer zero resistance if held.

Keep us posted.

Old 01-04-2015, 09:07 PM
Baja

Before you do all that put it in difflock and make sure the diff lock is on and try to move , or have someone move shifter into difflock while you watch the rod move underneigth its by the front drive shaft and be sure the case is not in neutral

This Is free

Quick Reply: tranny/t case trouble