Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Transmission????

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2015, 07:27 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission????

Ok drove about 45 mins down the interstate today at about 70. When I got off the highway I could hear a strange hissing sound ( not constant, intermittent).About that time my transmission fluid temp light came out on. I putted the remaining 2 miles I had to go and parked it till this afternoon. About 7 hrs it's had to cool down.

Drove the 45 mins back home. When i decelerated to get off the ramp it started bucking. Trans temp light come back on. If I stopped at a light, it didn't want to go again. Reved, bucked and started moving. I got it home. In the driveway a lot of bucking and reving before it'll start to go. First time I've had any problems.

97 discovery. Auto Trans
190,000 miles.
Trans fluid is full, not red , a light brownish red. Doesn't smell burnt.
Trans temp light comes on. No check engine light.
Any ideas where I should start?

Old 09-20-2015, 10:01 AM
4wd Low

Ok next morning. Light still on after cooling all night. Will role in reverse, won't roll in D. Strange thing is in neutral it feels like it's in park. I tried to push it forward and it won't budge.

Old 09-20-2015, 07:41 PM
Drifting
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bgbailey
Ok next morning. Light still on after cooling all night. Will role in reverse, won't roll in D. Strange thing is in neutral it feels like it's in park. I tried to push it forward and it won't budge.
This is what I would do

1. Drain overnight
2.fill up in the morning
3. Bring engine up to temp run for about 20 min.
4. Cycle through all gears P R D 3 2 1 then back 1 2 3 D R P

Then see what happens , if that doesn't work I would take a look at your Transmission filter ! It could be clogged 😕

Old 09-20-2015, 07:50 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

Hate to say it but I think you roasted whatever failed. That particular light when it comes on means "STOP DRIVING!". If you had and towed the vehicle back home you might have saved either the trans or the transfer case as either can set that warning light which comes on at a mere 266*F - 293*F. I'd drain the trans and drain the transfer case and see what falls out. Something is friction welded.....besides the warning switch, sun gear in transfer case or pump in trans maybe? Hard to tell without ripping into it.

Old 09-20-2015, 08:46 PM
Drifting
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry I missed the part about the gears not moving .....you could take off you Transmission sump pan and see what it looks like from there !

Old 09-22-2015, 12:18 PM
4wd Low

Update.
Took off transmission pan.( ya have to remove the exhaust, the Trans support bar) nothing in pan. Clean. No metal fragments. No gunk. Screen I can't see all the way as it is basically a tin can with an entrance and exit. But the little I can see in it, it's clean. I poured new oil in it and it flows through.

????

Old 09-22-2015, 03:54 PM
Camel Trophy

How about the transfer case?

Old 09-22-2015, 05:37 PM
4wd Low

Ok opened transfer case. Not much fluid at all. Black very thick. Some metal shavings. Slivers of what looks like copper flakes.

Old 09-22-2015, 06:16 PM
Camel Trophy

Bingo! Can you shift the transfer case while it's sitting? See if you can get the transfer case into neutral then shift the transmission into neutral, can you push it now? (If your parked on a slope this is not a great idea, it will roll on it's own so chock wheels please.)

While you have the trans cross brace and what not off I'd replace the trans filter.

Old 09-22-2015, 06:40 PM
4wd Low

Yeah transfer case shifter won't go forward. Is back in H. Will go side to side but not up into N. And after messing with that now it won't shift into tranny N