Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Transmission case chip?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2018, 07:06 PM
Mudding
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Transmission case chip?

So I was greasing my u joints when I noticed this chip out of my transmission casing. Naturally I about soiled myself when I saw it, but then I checked the transmission fluid and it doesn’t seem to be low, it actually seems to be way overfilled... I even checked it cold, idling in neutral, like it says to. What’s the deal with the chip? Big deal? Little deal? Not a deal at all? Hand for size reference

Old 04-07-2018, 09:19 PM
TReK
Received 653 Likes on 559 Posts

You can relax it's not a chip/crack, that hole is cast into the trans case from the factory. You can see it in the pic
If you removed the lower trans/flywheel inspection cover plate you would see that slot is cast all the way through.

Yours looks a little chewed up (still nothing to worry about), maybe someone tried to stop the crankshaft from turning using the "method" in this sketchy video....(skip to 1:12)

>

Old 04-08-2018, 08:26 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

I was gonna say, it's the bell housing, not gonna leak anything but hot air. One thing is for sure, your drivetrain is sure highly oil bathed, should remain well preserved for future generations to come. Like a four wheel drive Exxon Valdez. I would get that cleaned up and find out where it's coming from. (Front cover, oil pan, rear main seal....) It's a chore but worth the investment in time and treasure, you won't have to dress your hands in blue man gloves. Purple Power or just vinegar in a spray bottle on a warm motor works and just hose off. If it wasn't +10*F out right now I'd be doing just that on my new old project Jeep, needs it but not nearly as much as yours....holy cow, looks like an oil well was run over.

Old 04-08-2018, 01:26 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by OverRover

You can relax it's not a chip/crack, that hole is cast into the trans case from the factory. You can see it in the pic
If you removed the lower trans/flywheel inspection cover plate you would see that slot is cast all the way through.

Yours looks a little chewed up (still nothing to worry about), maybe someone tried to stop the crankshaft from turning using the "method" in this sketchy video....(skip to 1:12)

> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iftv_fmxlc

Brilliant, thank you! Huge relief. For the un-learned passerby (me), it sure looks like it's not meant to be there, considering how mangled it is around the edges.

Old 04-08-2018, 01:29 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by ihscouts
I was gonna say, it's the bell housing, not gonna leak anything but hot air. One thing is for sure, your drivetrain is sure highly oil bathed, should remain well preserved for future generations to come. Like a four wheel drive Exxon Valdez. I would get that cleaned up and find out where it's coming from. (Front cover, oil pan, rear main seal....) It's a chore but worth the investment in time and treasure, you won't have to dress your hands in blue man gloves. Purple Power or just vinegar in a spray bottle on a warm motor works and just hose off. If it wasn't +10*F out right now I'd be doing just that on my new old project Jeep, needs it but not nearly as much as yours....holy cow, looks like an oil well was run over.
Thanks, I try :P Yeah I'll get to it at some point, the car currently has a bad head gasket and leaking front cover gasket so the oil leak is much lower on my list of priorities right now.

Old 04-08-2018, 01:34 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

A leaking front cover should be very high on that priority list, your oil pump is right behind that seal..... when it goes bye bye so does all the oil when the motor is running..... just say'n.

Also, even though it's bone chill'n cold here I'm scrapping the poo off my motor....... it doesn't need a blanket as badly as I do.

Last edited by ihscouts; 04-08-2018 at 01:37 PM.
Old 04-09-2018, 10:16 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by ihscouts
A leaking front cover should be very high on that priority list, your oil pump is right behind that seal..... when it goes bye bye so does all the oil when the motor is running..... just say'n.

Also, even though it's bone chill'n cold here I'm scrapping the poo off my motor....... it doesn't need a blanket as badly as I do.
Yeah the front cover gasket and head gasket will be done at the same time while the engine is torn apart.

Old 04-09-2018, 01:58 PM
TReK
Received 653 Likes on 559 Posts

Brilliant, thank you! Huge relief. For the un-learned passerby (me), it sure looks like it's not meant to be there, considering how mangled it is around the edges.
That slot looks "mangled", but no worries at all. After looking at how the "chip" is front to back, I would almost guarantee
when trying to remove the lower bell housing cover plate someone used a screwdriver or a small pry bar and twisted it.
That plate can get stuck especially if a strong RTV was used.