Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

transmission doesnt want to go into high gear

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 11:05 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TOM R
I would clean all the grounds where they go to body and frame from battery before dropping $ on an alt. Throw a meter on the batt see out put with engine running

Abran they are called different things on different cars so yes semantics, USA cars it is detent

Not sure on this trans what it does, some cars it does control shift points, some cars it only controls the kickdown at wide open throttle like you are trying to pass another car or something
Got it done! Battery light off. Cranks first time. I will check all my grounds too. Coincendance that this happened right after getting transmission done? prob not.

Old 06-02-2014, 05:29 PM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

So is the shifting issue now resolved?

Old 06-02-2014, 07:32 PM
Mudding
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey you resurrected my old post ! Nothing has changed, it has become one of the things I have learned to live with. Shifted fine all winter with kickdown disconnected in the cold weather, but now that it has warmed up it is shifting at 3K again. Connecting the kickdown cable and any type of adjustment only increases the shift point. Fluid changes and filter changes do nothing. So, kickdown cable is disconnected, and like bad neighbors and ex wives, you learn to live with it. Hope you have better luck.

Last edited by ajnolin; 06-02-2014 at 07:58 PM.
Old 06-03-2014, 06:45 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by abran
So is the shifting issue now resolved?
No still the same got to be something that can be done! With the magnflow exhaust it sounds cool running around most of time in 2nd gear but this has got to be making my bad fuel consumption even worse is this an inherent problem of running larger tires?

Last edited by HammerFit; 06-03-2014 at 06:51 AM.
Old 06-03-2014, 08:33 AM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

You mean 3rd gear? Od s gear 4, this was a used trans? Have you asked the shop for ideas? Checked fluid level?

Engine cold trans in nutral

Old 06-03-2014, 09:54 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by TOM R
You mean 3rd gear? Od s gear 4, this was a used trans? Have you asked the shop for ideas? Checked fluid level?

Engine cold trans in nutral
Tom I only hear 3 gears shifting. Yes this used transmission installed by reputable shop they also work on my BMW I hope this is not the wrong transmission I have a 95 I took it back to hem this past week telling them it was not shifting into high gear and sometimes had a heavy clunking sound when shifting He said it was because the transmission had been sitting up and they change the fluid and said it was fine I have not taken it back to him the 3rd time as of yet because I had the electrical problem to deal with first

Old 06-03-2014, 03:54 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

Have the shop that installed the "used" transmission take it for a drive. What was wrong with your original transmission?

Old 06-03-2014, 08:32 PM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by HammerFit
Tom I only hear 3 gears shifting. Yes this used transmission installed by reputable shop they also work on my BMW I hope this is not the wrong transmission I have a 95 I took it back to hem this past week telling them it was not shifting into high gear and sometimes had a heavy clunking sound when shifting He said it was because the transmission had been sitting up and they change the fluid and said it was fine I have not taken it back to him the 3rd time as of yet because I had the electrical problem to deal with first
Since it starts in 1 if you hear 3 shifts you are going into od / 4th gear

Old 06-03-2014, 09:08 PM
Mudding
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Stock tires? What's your rpm at 70 mph?

Old 06-04-2014, 06:58 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by ihscouts
Have the shop that installed the "used" transmission take it for a drive. What was wrong with your original transmission?
Front drive shaft came off and cracked the housing of the transmission, that's pretty much quote from shop

Quick Reply: transmission doesnt want to go into high gear