Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Transmission help !!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 06:25 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission help !!!

Hey guy I am having a tough time with my 95. I just bought it and the transfer case fried a bearing on a trip last Thursday. I replaced it with a 97 and a new output/input shaft. I also serviced the transmission and diff's. I got it back together and all I have is reverse and low. It will not shift out of first. What did I do wrong. The transfer case also wont shift into low. Please advise me on what to do. I used dex3 and checked in cold, idling, in neutral. I hope the transmission didn't crap out on my. Is it electronic?

Old 06-17-2014, 10:09 PM
Baja
Received 227 Likes on 197 Posts

Believe at+4 is the correct trans fluid, is the detent hooked up? All the wiring connected?

There is a solonoid on the t/c to prevent shift into low range in gear big round thing on top of the case on pass side

Old 06-18-2014, 12:01 AM
Overlanding

Yes T.V. cable is hooked up. Dex3 is what it is supposed to take according to everything I have read. I believe the governor sticking. The bearing that went bad was right at the output shaft of the transmission. It got so hot is melted wiring. Since the governor is in the back of the transmission I think the heat transmitted to it. I got it to shift once. So my plan of attack is to first drain all fluid, put fresh fluid in with some lubeguard. I will see if this will free up the governor, I have seen it work before.

If that doesn't work out comes the transfer case. Pull the rear transmission, and pull the governor out and free it up. Hopefully the first plan works.

Old 06-18-2014, 07:15 AM
Baja
Received 227 Likes on 197 Posts

look at the thread from hammerfit a few days back his replacement trans didn't work right and the trans shop dumped in a can of seafoam, drove for a few miles and left it sit and soak for several days then drain and refill and fixed the problem

did you replace the melted wires?

Old 06-18-2014, 07:23 AM
Overlanding

Yep fixed all the melted wiring. Yep I am going to dump a bunch of lubegard in. Go through a few heat cycles and see if that helps. If not out comes the governor.

Old 06-18-2014, 08:38 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by windsoreight
Yep fixed all the melted wiring. Yep I am going to dump a bunch of lubegard in. Go through a few heat cycles and see if that helps. If not out comes the governor.
I was having the same issue. Sea Foam tranny cleaner entire bottle (directions call for half) drive for 5 miles let sit for a day or two flush and refill we used redline fluid shifts like new again

Old 06-18-2014, 09:00 AM
Overlanding

Yea I am trying lubegard. It should also free stuck valves and the governor. Problem is I cant drive mine I only have 1st and reverse. It shifted one time which sucks. I think I am SOL. The transfer case got so hot I think the 3 Teflon rings for the governor probably melted. I drove it around the block, I am going to let it sit and run in neutral so the pump runs for a few hours, then I will let it cool down. I will do this over and over for a few days. If it doesn't free up I may just buy a used one and throw it in there. Sucks too, my truck only has 90K and found no mental or debris in the pan. I just have all this time to screw with it. Then I will rebuild this one later.