Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Traveling breakdowns

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 08:05 AM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Traveling breakdowns

I'm planning a trip and also planning on taking the disco. I guess my question is what should I expect for breakdowns, if any, I know there are many variables but it's a 200 mile trip there and back. I have a parts truck that I could take a ton of stuff off and take on the trip incase any failures occur but don't know why to take. Suggestions?

Old 09-22-2013, 09:55 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

If your truck is well maintained I wouldn't bother with anything other than maybe things that will leave you completely stranded like crank position senor, spare serpentine belt, etc.

Old 09-22-2013, 10:04 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 225 Likes on 194 Posts

What's your maintenance history like? You're talking about a 3.5 hr trip. Doesn't sound like you trust your Rover much. I wouldn't hesitate to drive mine 1300 miles to Moab tomorrow.

Old 09-22-2013, 10:29 AM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

has she been giving you trouble? if no, sounds like you are worrying too much. i have water and a belt. can't plan for everything or you'll have that parts truck on a trailer behind you, everywhere you go.

Old 09-22-2013, 10:32 AM
Mudding

It's very well mainted I'm just consider freak things like a dead starter or something. I plan on doing an oil change before I leave and packing some small stuff like lights but I don't wanna be "that guy". This is my second rover and I only got stranded once in the first on due to old battery, took care of it now I tore around a diehard jumper box. I've been raised to always be prepared and I'm just trying to ensure that I am. I've got a bag full of tools and gorilla tape with me at all times so I guess if worse came to worse I could make something work lol

Old 09-22-2013, 10:36 AM
Mudding

The only recent problem I've had is the drivers side tail lights are out. I've checked the fuses, bulbs, grounds and I even swapped the switch assembly but they're still out

Old 09-22-2013, 10:59 AM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

yeah, i know the prep. feeling. since my kids where born, my trunk box looks like an emt bag. defibrillator and all. but gotta draw the line somewhere.
do you have a wire harness set up for towing? it comes from that tail light, could be some po connections gone bad, or corrosion on terminals/connections

Old 09-22-2013, 11:10 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

RAVE on smarty phone or laptop may help. Towing coverage on insurance? Plastic tub in back with oil, ATF, coolant, belt, tools. You may have a leak that can't be fixed in the field, but impact is moderated by keeping topped off.

Does not matter how far you go, I had a rad hose on my Mercedes blow 100 feet from the dealer. Walked to the parts counter and they said they don't stock them, would be 3 days minimum.

You could listen to different parts under hood with a stethoscope or yard stick, it could be starting to make noise that you can't hear just yet over the engine. Any new leaks?

If you have never used a live data scanner or Ultra Gauge, this is not a good time to start, because initial use is a direct cause of anxiety.

And no matter what happens to Rover, you can always have a worse day at work...

Attached Thumbnails Traveling breakdowns-20120405-071.jpg   Traveling breakdowns-forklift-bomb-thumb.jpg  

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 09-22-2013 at 11:38 AM.
Old 09-22-2013, 01:34 PM
Mudding

Yeah the previous owner installed a uhaul. Haven't really looked into that yet. I will definitely be bringing the oil, coolant and the belt. I don't have an ultra gauge yet , I've been meaning to pick one up. I'm pretty sure I signed up for towing this time but can't be positive, will check before trip. I live on cape cod and th trip will be to New Hampshire, Lincoln area it's not only a mini vacation but also a test for mileage and stuff for skiing this winter. Me and the girlfriend would usually take her car but I want to be able take my rover

Old 09-22-2013, 01:58 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Well, taking the GF is usually all the reason a Rover needs to break down....

Quick Reply: Traveling breakdowns