Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Tray back build

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 10:14 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I always thought it would be cool to cut the roof off and do a roll cage type frame and have a rag top.

Old 05-07-2012, 10:38 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tweakrover
I always thought it would be cool to cut the roof off and do a roll cage type frame and have a rag top.
I agree if this truck wasnt rust hole I would have done that. I also would have considered doing it if I lived in an area where it doesnt rain every freakin day... I'd like to do a defender or series cab but I am going to have to save some and start storing up some body parts.

Old 05-07-2012, 12:32 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you making it a bob tail as well. I have done 2 range rovers, 2 doors and a 200 tdi discovery 3 door. That one was done as a full tray back with. the picture below is of one of the range rovers, will try and see if i can find a picture of the disco

Attached Thumbnails Tray back build-pickup8-03.jpg  
Old 05-07-2012, 12:50 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by G Reeves
Are you making it a bob tail as well. I have done 2 range rovers, 2 doors and a 200 tdi discovery 3 door. That one was done as a full tray back with. the picture below is of one of the range rovers, will try and see if i can find a picture of the disco

Yea it's getting bobbed not exactly sure how much I am going to take off yet.

Old 05-07-2012, 12:53 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I like the Bobtail. I have seen a few nice ones on the web.

If I were doing it, I would consider deleting all the original wiring and just going back with what circuits are needed and doing them as well as possible. You could treat it like a marine environment build.

I like the concept. That is a good reuse for a rusty older D One. Call it DONE.

Last edited by Danny Lee 97 Disco; 05-07-2012 at 07:45 PM.
Old 05-07-2012, 01:04 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
I like the Bobtail. I have seen a few nice ones on the web.

If I were doing it, I would consider deleting all the original wiring and just going back with what circuits are needed and doing them as well as possible. You could treat it like a marine environment build.

I like the concept. That is a good reuse for a rusty older D One. Cal it DONE.
Here's the wires just for the rear

There are actually grounds that run to the D-pillar than you have to reground so the the truck will start.. Other than that I would like to keep the brake lights, turn signals ect in case I decide to reuse those. PT is doing something similar to his range rover right now. Clip wire, try to start truck. until you have removed as much as possible but the truck will still drive and have heat if you live in the north.

Old 05-07-2012, 03:12 PM

What I was saying is that I would install all new power and grounds as needed. It would be easy to run a ground buss just like aircrafts use. As long as the engine, frame and body all have a common ground all should work.

Those original wire harnesses were crap and there are a lot of inline splices and additional wires that you will no longer need.

Old 05-07-2012, 05:13 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Progress from today

I just cut the body mounts in the rear and then cut it on the underside and top side of the wheel well. Then pulled it off in one piece

Old 05-07-2012, 07:53 PM

Like the WAY YOU DID THAT. A lot of the hot rods I saw last weekend had nice aftermarket steel gas tanks. You could mount one of those forward of where the stock tank is, box that in and bob it really nice.

I know in my 97 a lot of the wiring going to the rear was for things like rear AC and stereo and all that. All you really need is tail lights, fuel pump and other essentials.

Looks like a great fun project.

Old 05-07-2012, 08:55 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
Like the WAY YOU DID THAT. A lot of the hot rods I saw last weekend had nice aftermarket steel gas tanks. You could mount one of those forward of where the stock tank is, box that in and bob it really nice.

I know in my 97 a lot of the wiring going to the rear was for things like rear AC and stereo and all that. All you really need is tail lights, fuel pump and other essentials.

Looks like a great fun project.
Yea I will find a permanent solution for the fuel tank once I know how much space I will be working with. Until then I will find a way to run the stock tank and make it pretty.

Quick Reply: Tray back build