Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Troubleshooting D1 SRS - No Communication with SRS Module

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2019, 10:13 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Troubleshooting D1 SRS - No Communication with SRS Module

All,

The SRS light on my D1 has been on since I purchased it. I have done a lot of reading on the potential causes, but am hoping the community here can either contribute how they successfully troubleshooted the code and resolved it, or add some additional items to check. Most importantly I took the truck to a local independent rover shop and their code reader was unable to communicate with the SRS module. Note, there was a communication error NOT that they did not have the correct reader to interact with the system (at least this was my understanding). Have any of you had a non-communicative SRS module before? Any thoughts on where to begin? Furthermore, are there any readers you would recommend that I could purchase on my own to diagnose? I figure I need the error code to troubleshoot and a code reader to clear the system and reset the light. Opinions?

Old 02-25-2019, 04:18 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts

Takes a special reader, most normal OBD readers wont be able to communicate with the SRS.
Probably a broken clock spring behind the steering wheel.
That was the issue with 2 of mine that had the SRS light on.
One had a functioning horn, the other didnt.
Replaced Clock spring and good to go.

As to a specific reader, FaultMate MSV-2.

Old 02-25-2019, 06:26 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by logan_gibson
Takes a special reader, most normal OBD readers wont be able to communicate with the SRS.
Probably a broken clock spring behind the steering wheel.
That was the issue with 2 of mine that had the SRS light on.
One had a functioning horn, the other didnt.
Replaced Clock spring and good to go.

As to a specific reader, FaultMate MSV-2.
Thanks Logan, I figured someone would suggest this. I actually didn't have a horn originally, but replaced the rotary coupler and now I have a horn with no issues. I'll check out that reader. Any other SRS sughestions?

Old 02-25-2019, 06:55 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts

If you replaced it with a used one, it's possible that used one was still bad.

Other than that, I'd get a local Indy Rover shop to scan it with a scanner that can read the srs before throwing more parts at it.

Old 02-25-2019, 07:04 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by logan_gibson
If you replaced it with a used one, it's possible that used one was still bad.

Other than that, I'd get a local Indy Rover shop to scan it with a scanner that can read the srs before throwing more parts at it.
Rotary coupler was tested good (cruise control buttons are responsive). How else would it be bad if it's completing the circuit correctly? I believe the scanner the Indy shop used was capable of reading the SRS codes, the module just wasn't communicating.

Old 02-26-2019, 10:01 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by _ExpeditionMan
Thanks Logan, I figured someone would suggest this. I actually didn't have a horn originally, but replaced the rotary coupler and now I have a horn with no issues. I'll check out that reader. Any other SRS sughestions?
have you tried using contact clear on the port? Just a thought 💭

Old 02-26-2019, 10:05 AM
Mudding
Talking

All,

The SRS light on my D1 has been on since I purchased it. I have done a lot of reading on the potential causes, but am hoping the community here can either contribute how they successfully troubleshooted the code and resolved it, or add some additional items to check. Most importantly I took the truck to a local independent rover shop and their code reader was unable to communicate with the SRS module. Note, there was a communication error NOT that they did not have the correct reader to interact with the system (at least this was my understanding). Have any of you had a non-communicative SRS module before? Any thoughts on where to begin? Furthermore, are there any readers you would recommend that I could purchase on my own to diagnose? I figure I need the error code to troubleshoot and a code reader to clear the system and reset the light. Opinions?
this reader my son uses on his Subaru works on my D1

Old 02-26-2019, 11:32 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by dialtonehero57

have you tried using contact clear on the port? Just a thought 💭
Have not reviewed each connector yet. Going to go to the rave and see if there is any sort of troubleshooting method and then try to go through each fuse/connector.

Old 02-26-2019, 11:42 AM
Three Wheeling

Basically has anyone successfully used a OBD2 reader that can interact with a D1 SRS module? All the videos I can find online show readers working for D2's and only engine codes for the D1.

Old 02-26-2019, 01:26 PM
Mudding
Talking

Have not reviewed each connector yet. Going to go to the rave and see if there is any sort of troubleshooting method and then try to go through each fuse/connector.
sounds like a good plan