Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Trying to pass smog

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2017, 10:43 AM
Mudding
Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Trying to pass smog

I went to get a smog check as per required here in CA, but it did not pass due to no cat data or evap data, here you can pass with one incomplete but it needs to must have the cat data completed. I have a pending code P0130 that comes and goes, my thought is that I have an exhaust leak coming from my exhaust manifold to my y pipe or a bad weld at the catalytic converters as I had both sides replaced a year ago. I have ran a scanner and did a live view here are some screen shots. What is your opinion on a P0130? I have also replaced all 4 O2 sensors late last year.

Attached Thumbnails Trying to pass smog-wp_ss_20170714_0001.png   Trying to pass smog-wp_ss_20170714_0002.png   Trying to pass smog-wp_ss_20170714_0003.png   Trying to pass smog-wp_ss_20170714_0004.png   Trying to pass smog-wp_ss_20170714_0005.png  

Trying to pass smog-wp_ss_20170714_0006.png  
Old 07-14-2017, 10:49 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

A leak is a possibility and fairly common with these L/R's. Can you hear any leaks if the vehicle is in 'Drive' (foot on the brake) and someone is applying the accelerator?

I know my Disco has a small leak on the pass side where the Y pipe hooks to the manifold.

Old 07-15-2017, 04:27 AM
Mudding
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Pretty sure that it's ANY one monitor on 96-99 vehicles, although the cat problem is probably easier to fix than the evap. Swap bank 1 & 2 front sensors and see if it throws a P0150? Not impossible that a newer part has failed.

Old 07-15-2017, 03:18 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark G
A leak is a possibility and fairly common with these L/R's. Can you hear any leaks if the vehicle is in 'Drive' (foot on the brake) and someone is applying the accelerator?

I know my Disco has a small leak on the pass side where the Y pipe hooks to the manifold.
Is there ANYONE amongst us who hasn't or doesn't had/have an exhaust leak in the passenger side from the manifold to the Y? It's like an epidemic.

Old 07-15-2017, 11:56 PM
Mudding

Solved it. I reached for the driver side O2 sensor plug to disconnect it and found that the black wire one of the four wires on the new O2 was not seated into the plug correctly, so I dropped the plug from the new O2 removed the white locking pin insert and attempted to push in the black wire but it never clicked into the lock, that seamed strange, so I inserted the white locking insert to see if that would lock it in, it did not lock it in, I then pulled on another wire with the locking insert installed and another wire pulled out easily, took a closer look at the pin, just to find out that the pins do not have the notch or punched hole for the locking clip. I took apart a bad old O2 sensor that I had removed prior to installing the new ones awhile back just to find out that my old bad O2's do have the punched hole for the locking clip in the main connector and the white insert clip was the final lock and guide for the pins. All I did for now was to shove in the pins with a small jewelers screwdriver and it felt tight. Cleared the code took the truck out to play in the dirt, bounce it around, went home all dirty, and check for codes. NO CODE!!! I think that did it now I just need to drive it till the ECM completes the catalyst. I will need to locate pins with the notch punched into it and crimp new pins onto the new O2 sensors. I guess the manufacturer decided to cut corners and use pins without the notch for the locking clips built into the socket.

Old 07-16-2017, 01:44 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Icannap1
Solved it. I reached for the driver side O2 sensor plug to disconnect it and found that the black wire one of the four wires on the new O2 was not seated into the plug correctly, so I dropped the plug from the new O2 removed the white
locking pin insert and attempted to push in the black wire but it never clicked into the lock, that seamed strange, so I inserted the white locking insert to see if that would lock it in, it did not lock it in, I then pulled on another wire with the locking insert installed and another wire pulled out easily, took a closer look at the pin, just to find out that the pins do not have the notch or punched hole for the locking clip. I took apart a bad old O2 sensor that I had removed prior to installing the new ones awhile back just to find out that my old bad O2's do have the punched hole for the locking clip in the main connector and the white insert clip was the final lock and guide for the pins. All I did for now was to shove in the pins with a small jewelers screwdriver and it felt tight. Cleared the code took the truck out to play in the dirt, bounce it around, went home all dirty, and check for codes. NO CODE!!! I think that did it now I just need to drive it till the ECM completes the catalyst. I will need to locate pins with the notch punched into it and crimp new pins onto the new O2 sensors. I guess the manufacturer decided to cut corners and use pins without the notch for the locking clips built into the socket.
Are you talking about the connection of the sensor that plugs into the harness?

Old 07-16-2017, 09:29 AM
Mudding

Yes the pins in the connector of the O2 sensor side.

Old 07-16-2017, 12:32 PM
Mudding

Didn't knock on wood, the code is back P0130, and P1196. Back to troubleshooting will check it once he truck cools down, just got back from a 2 hour drive.

Old 07-16-2017, 11:51 PM
Mudding

Swap B1 S1 with B2 S1, cleared the codes, drove it, and now P0150. Will be getting a replacement sensor for the new bad O2 sensor, turns out it is the only one with the wrong pins in it the other O2 had locking pins. Thanks guys.

Old 07-22-2017, 05:11 PM
Mudding

After replacing the bad O2 with a new one P0130 has not popped up but I am still getting a P1196 pending code. The only thing I have found online for a P1196 is Oxygen Sensor Heater Type 2 Low Resistance Downstream. Does this mean that the rear O2 has a problem and if so what side?

Quick Reply: Trying to pass smog