Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Two weeks in to ownership, this is what i know.

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 09:48 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Two weeks in to ownership, this is what i know.

Corrosion on anything metal that was made across the ocean sucks.
Every single connectors needs cleaned
English leather sucks
Discovery drives awesome! NO **** I love the way she drives
Rubber made in europe is horrid
Why cant europe make a decent interios switch
I could go on but I feel I would be preaching to the choir.

Engine noise. It makes all kinds depending on the day, time, temperature humidity. Seriously this ONE thing drives me batty. I absolutely despise motor noise.

I reviewed every receipt given to me, completely rebuilt motor, Transmission with less than 1000 miles on it. She runs very well matter of fact I have never driven a disco this strong.......EVER. she runs very good!

I think it had 20w50 castrol in it when we picked her up. I shifted to 15 w 40, and to me she makes more noise than when we picked her up.

Ill try some 20w50 in a couple of weeks to see if the noise comes down.

Engine oil is spotless, no blow by, the only check engine light is P0150 and P0153, basically passenger side upstream O2 sensor.

Tonight wifey and I decided we would just correct the OBD issues as to keep her legal and drive her tell she drops. I will just turn the radio on and listen to katy Perry and enjoy life.

Sorry for the rant carry on.

Old 11-21-2011, 09:55 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

So go back to the Castrol GT 20W50 and buy a bottle of Gentleman Jack or Jameson with the savings and toast it often. Really enjoy the time til she drops.

Old 11-21-2011, 09:57 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
So go back to the Castrol GT 20W50 and buy a bottle of Gentleman Jack or Jameson with the savings and toast it often. Really enjoy the time til she drops.
Maybe straight 60weight ? LOL

Old 11-21-2011, 10:03 PM

That may be a bit heavy..........

Old 11-21-2011, 10:34 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Well, if there be engine noise, and 20W50, or six gallons of Amsoil, or a case of Lucas does not reduce it - perhaps the rebuild is in question? Perhaps some noise from something run by the belt? Could drop belt off and see what the difference is , or listen with stick to individual items. My D1 came without a hood blanket, made one from a D2 fit.

Old 11-21-2011, 10:40 PM
Mudding

Out here on the west coast I run the good ol castrol 20/50 all year long on pretty much any motor made before 2000. I know the motor that was in my corrado is essentially the same motor VW came up with in the early 70's when they switched from aircooled to watercooled. It wasnt designed with the tightest of tolerances by any means. If i ran anything thinner than 15/40 the oil pressure warning would go off even with a later higher volume oil pump, new main and rod bearings and replaced the high/low sensors. Same thing goes for the Rover V8, the same basic design that has jut been tweaked and massaged a little since the mid 60's. Most old design motors tend to run happiest with the thickest viscosity you can safely run based on your climate and not blow out your seals..

I think an oil pressure gauge should be standard on all cars, i know the idiot light/buzzer on my corrado was useless - in the same vien as the coolant gauge is in the rover. the light/buzzer would go off yet the motor was showing 1.5 bar at idle when warm. Oil pressure, oil temp and EGT are the three gauges i'm going to install in short order..

I feel you though on alot of things, depending on the trim level your "leather" may not be leather. I know in my 97 SE7 the seats are some sort of heavy vinyl fake leather..

Old 11-22-2011, 11:26 AM

I tend to agree on the seats, more like a leatherette, I snagged the back of mine and tore it slightly, that ain't cowhide. I had a 96 Bronco XLT that had been the Service Managers Demo at a major Ford Dealer. I bought it with around 5,000 miles on it. The first business trip i went on, I had a drafting pencil in my back pocket when I hopped in. Snagged the brand new grey leather seat in an L shapped snag on the back center of the seat. You could tell it was true cowhide from the edges of the tear.

Old 11-22-2011, 07:10 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Maybe your new engine needs to be broken in yet and thats why its noisy?
Once warm mine is pretty quiet, especially since I removed the engine fan for the winter, when first started there is a slight exhaust leak at the manifold but it goes away once warmed up.

Old 11-22-2011, 09:05 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Spike555
Maybe your new engine needs to be broken in yet and thats why its noisy?
Once warm mine is pretty quiet, especially since I removed the engine fan for the winter, when first started there is a slight exhaust leak at the manifold but it goes away once warmed up.
Spikey, I called the engine builder today to ask him what he recommended.

He said Spike is right, use castrol 20/50 gtx and it will no longer make any more noise.

So I went to Orielys purchased a nice WIX filter and 7 quarts of Castrol GTX 20w-50 and VIOLA no more noise.

He also said during the summer to use straight 50 and I wont have another issue with noise or pump pressures etc.

He also said the pump style is old crappy and outdated and the motors were used to using thick straight weight motor oil and it will live happily ever after.

As of right now after idling for 20 minutes I have not heard a single peep rattle knock etc.

The old filter and powder like metal in it and he said that should be about right for a new motor breaking in.

There you have it folks.

Thanks Spike.