Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

ugh, do I need a new transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 06:58 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation ugh, do I need a new transmission?

Okay, so my 98 disco has about 110k miles on it. A few months ago it stopped shifting. It now only stays in first gear. It won't shift by putting the lever into 2 or 3 either. The shift linkage seems to be moving properly. I stopped driving it last month when reverse stopped working.

When smelling the fluid, it does not smell burnt, and it was a pretty sudden process, no real slipping. The only thing that worries me the most is when I put it in reverse today and went to about 4k RPM, it moved back a very little bit. My first sign of slipping and not just failure. Could there be anything wrong with the transfer case and not the tranny?

Secondly, how much do these average to cost in a replacement? I love the truck, and have changed a transmission before, but that was on a spacious suburban, the rover looks very tight with hand tools and no lift. What should I do here?

Old 04-13-2015, 07:58 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

Because I can change a light bulb doesn't make me an electrician.......although I am (machine tool). You revved a distressed driveline to 4k? You are either very pissed off at the world or you just want to grenade what you love so much. Once upon a time I actually got paid to look for people with just this type of personality, by our government. I enjoyed my job very much. Thank God nothing engaged! I hope your neighbors don't mind company dropping in quickly.

Anyways have you tried using the "Search" function of the site. There are ad nausium responses how to check the transfer case. The trans I would drain the fluid (not sniff it) to see if there's any debris and then check the filter and pickup and replace filter/fluid up and try again without taking it to 4k. Secondly the trans uses a cable to change gears, check that it's still attached and does in fact move when you shift the gear lever. Have someone do this with you.

Try all that first. Two things when a trans won't move, pump and filter. If one or both are hosed no transmission movie. Clean fluid makes me think nothing is moving internally.

A used auto or tc is about $250. I have almost twice your mileage on mine and it's still doing what it's designed to.

Old 04-14-2015, 09:28 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I spent 300 for tranny and shipping to my door.

Swap isn't all that bad.. I used cribbing & jackstands to get the truck up in the air (just enough room to slide the tranny in/out from under the truck.

follow the RAVE and you'll be ok

Old 04-14-2015, 10:15 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Sounds like a fluid circulation issue BUT you may have caused more damage by revving it to 4k... Doh! Drop the pan and see whatcha got. Takes 30 minutes to do.

A wise man once told me, "it's cheaper to swap out fluids/filter than replace an engine or tranny due to neglect."