Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Unknown cluster wire....missing a home...

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 07:08 AM
Winching
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
... How does one determine which connector is wnich from the connector numbers? Are they marked anywhere? I hate the Rave electrical documentation. I am not accustomed to the fragmented way they do things.
OK, you are not allowed to get mad at anyone for a whole week for not reading or knowing how to use RAVE. After that week you can go back to being your lovable grumpy, red-necky self.

The easiest way to use it is to know which component you are trying to test or find by just using the contents section on pg.2. The hardest way to use it is the way we did in the above example... I have a yellow wire... what does it do?

In the hard example you can use the component location table AND view sections to track down any connectors in the general area of your querry. find a connector then locate it in the connector guide. This is all so much easier if you use (at least) Adobe Reader. If you are using a printed version then it takes longer but still not hard.

Locate the connector number in the component location table or view then find that connector number in the connector section. There you will find which wires (by color) are located in which pin position. There is also a code next to the Connector description on the index table.. something like (24 - B) or (7 - R) that is 24 pins in a Black plug or 7 pins in a Red plug, respectivly.

When looking at the diagrams ANY letter and number combination that begins with a C is a connector. Ground is E and splice is S. Any connector located in the engine bay is C followed by 100 series (eg. C137 or C176 etc.), any connector in the Dash harness is C200 series, C300 is interior cabin..... The full breakdown is located in the introduction on pg. 13.

IN FACT Everything you need to know is in the intro. I know our society is impatient and generally skips to the good part but the intro tells you how to use the whole entire book with all the codes explained and what all the funny little numbers and letters mean.

Read your way to Freedom my friends.

Old 07-14-2011, 08:51 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I guess I do better with pictures, and some of the ones on the RAVE are really grainy.

I am in the process of reorganizing all of my tools and documentation as well as working on the Discovery.

My grandkids screwed up my old computer so bad, I lost all my data and pics on the hard-drive and didn't have it backed up very well. I only had a few pics in an on-line album.

I do have a few binders full of printed docs which are easier to use when actually working on the beast than trying to do some search on the computer while down in the driveway working on the beast.

I do appreciate your straight forward answers and support, It helps us all to learn as much as possible about these beasts.

I recently changed the name of mine from "Discovery Recovery" to "MEANANDEROVER".

I took my black Sharpie to the factory hood label adding the M, changing the L to an E and adding the second E between the D and the R.

Become one with your Rover, my son.