Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Up armoring

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2015, 07:15 AM
Winching
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Awesome! Thanks for the update

Old 02-07-2015, 10:53 AM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

Bumper looks great, having that laser cut plus steel round here would be very pricey

I built my bumper and the hardest part was getting tubing bent for the brush guard, I ended up redesigning without nice bends/radius

Old 02-07-2015, 01:43 PM
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Thank you for the update! Looks awesome!

There is never a dull moment with a Rover and foul language

Old 02-07-2015, 05:04 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey cgoffroad, would you be willing to help me design an "easy" to assemble safari rack for a 97 disco?

Old 02-07-2015, 05:08 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,481 Likes on 1,209 Posts

Originally Posted by cgoffroad
Good Afternoon
Its been a very busy few weeks at work and haven't had much time to make progress. Took today off today to get some work done. Good news prototype front bumper is built and welded. Bad news I seem to have forgotten how to use a tape measure. My inter frame measurements were off by about 3 inches. I believe I may have invented a few new swearwords after I discovered my mistake. Thankfully some welding engineers offered assistance. A few phone calls later and they had assembled 3 weld engineers, 2 other mechanical engineers, a Manufacturing engineer and an Astronaut to help redesign the bumper mounts. Because of the help I was also able to make progress on the steering skid, Roof Rack and Sill protection. I should have plans for the front bumper by the end of the month. Thanks for the encouragement

GIJoe

What no exorcist?

Looks great, can't wait to see the final product. Keep up the good work.

Old 02-07-2015, 05:37 PM
Overlanding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default restating my intent

My inbox is filling up with price and order requests so it seems i need to restate my intents. I am developing a set of plans and instructions for the home builder to fabricate your own bumper. I am more of a built not bought kinda guy. Please understand if I were to fabricate a bumper without proper destructive testing or DOT approval and someone was hurt or killed by that bumper I could be held legally and more importantly financially responsible. This is why business have insurance and why most have the "for offroad use only" label on their products. It is for this liability reason I clearly state in my thread I am not taking orders to build bumpers. I have 1 prototype completed but it needs to lose weight 137 pounds is a bit much and there is room for improvement. I will release the plans but not untill I am satisfied with the safety and functionality of the design.

The following users liked this post:
FLA Rover (05-11-2015)
Old 02-07-2015, 06:43 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

How much for 3 shipped to 75208....out of titanium?
I need them by valentines day

Old 02-07-2015, 09:37 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 225 Likes on 194 Posts

Looks nice. What's with the double shackle mounts on each side?

Old 02-07-2015, 11:31 PM
Overlanding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Double shackle mounts were a byproduct of extending the blanket frame plates forward through the bumper shell. They proved a unnecessary and excess weight. The final revision eliminates the inner mounts.
So far today I have managed so shave 23 pounds off the design and eliminate 6 linear feet of welds. The final revision will come in 3 options.

1. Winch plate only and frame mount . This will mount a winch directly to the front frame rails. It mates to the steering guard for a smooth transition for maximum approach angle.

2. Option 1 plus previously designed bumper shell. This design will allow the shell to be removed and replaced in the event of trail or deer damage. This options is closest to the prototype design as it sits now.

3. Option 1 and 2 with brush guard.

I'm starting the second prototype next week.

Joe

Originally Posted by fishEH
Looks nice. What's with the double shackle mounts on each side?

Old 02-08-2015, 07:48 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I understand your caution because of liability. But isnt anything somebody makes and shares with the world at their own risk? I dont understand why its legal that people can sue someone like that. And since its just plans the person building it technically built it right? So why is it linked to you even if they followed your plans. They may have slightly altered it and it broke, ya know?