Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Up armoring

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 09:38 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry I'm too lazy to look. Is there a rear bumper plan too?

Old 02-09-2015, 09:47 AM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

He is doing the front bumper first, then moving on to other items like rear bumper

Old 02-10-2015, 12:09 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

It's hard to say without seeing it on the truck, but the bars might be too tall.

Here are three design ideas for the bars you might consider and combine in any way:
1. User larger diameter tube for the center hoop like TJM

2. Use I-beam type verticals like ARB

3. Make center hoop flush with out bars like the camel trophy Mantec brush guards

I don't understand your recovery points. Is there a pin mean to go across? Weld on mounts seem more simple: OKoffroad.com Recovery Gear - Weld-on Bumper Shackle Mounts

I'd add some cut-outs for amber running or turn signal lights to the face of the outer wings.

Old 02-10-2015, 04:05 PM
Winching
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by EricTyrrell
I don't understand your recovery points. Is there a pin mean to go across? Weld on mounts seem more simple: OKoffroad.com Recovery Gear - Weld-on Bumper Shackle Mounts

I'd add some cut-outs for amber running or turn signal lights to the face of the outer wings.
He posted he messed up, and there won't be two d-ring mounts on the final piece. When/if I get this bumper I'm going to cut out holes up front for Rigid DOT fog duallys.

Old 02-10-2015, 04:38 PM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

Remember he is not selling bumpers, making for himself but will give you plans to get it built yourself

Old 02-10-2015, 07:51 PM
Winching
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

ya. got a place local that can laser cut the steel from whatever plans.

Old 02-11-2015, 01:09 AM
Overlanding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Update

Iv been re-working the winch and frame mount. To show everyone why this process takes a while these are screen shots of the environmental stress and failure analysis. The loads simulate a 12000 pound winch pull, linear, offset and vertical. The welds don't fail but the material deflection is noticeable and excessive.

The design of the brush guard was simply following the lines of the grill. It is made from 1" x .120dia DOM. It was free and readily available in the shop. It is also very heavy so for future builds I would recommend 063. ERW. I live in northern Wisconsin and I need a stout brush guard to protect from suicidal deer. The brush guard plans are a guide and can be built however you want.
Welding the shackle mount to the bumper is risky. You would have to ensure you have excellent fit up with a decent sized weld and complete joint penetration. Incorporating the shackle anchor into the frame mount ensures a solid pulling point with out the worry of the weld failing.

Thank you for your patience. I'm working as fast as I can to get this out before wheeling season.

Respectfully
GIJoe

Attached Thumbnails Up armoring-bad-force.png   Up armoring-bad-force2.png   Up armoring-bad-force3.png  
Old 02-24-2015, 10:18 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This thread is epic, subscribed.

Thank you for offering to share these plans with everyone.
I will keep my eye out for them.

Old 02-24-2015, 10:22 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 225 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by cgoffroad
Iv been re-working the winch and frame mount. To show everyone why this process takes a while these are screen shots of the environmental stress and failure analysis. The loads simulate a 12000 pound winch pull, linear, offset and vertical. The welds don't fail but the material deflection is noticeable and excessive.

The design of the brush guard was simply following the lines of the grill. It is made from 1" x .120dia DOM. It was free and readily available in the shop. It is also very heavy so for future builds I would recommend 063. ERW. I live in northern Wisconsin and I need a stout brush guard to protect from suicidal deer. The brush guard plans are a guide and can be built however you want.
Welding the shackle mount to the bumper is risky. You would have to ensure you have excellent fit up with a decent sized weld and complete joint penetration. Incorporating the shackle anchor into the frame mount ensures a solid pulling point with out the worry of the weld failing.

Thank you for your patience. I'm working as fast as I can to get this out before wheeling season.

Respectfully
GIJoe
I was just in Northern WI! Wish I would have known you lived up there, I would have contacted you.
Me and some guys from the Chicago Land Rover Club drove up to Bayfield, took the ice road out to Madeline Island, and then ran the Trans Wisconsin Adventure Trail from the end at Point Detour Campground south over Friday/Saturday/Sunday.

Old 02-24-2015, 11:25 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Fish, here's some advice. Stop being a punk and making us all feel like losers okay?