Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Upcoming road trip.

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 05:14 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upcoming road trip.

Contemplating taking my Disco 1 on a road trip from Houston to Gulf Shores. Any ideas on what to look for or expect? It has 136,000 miles. I have new bilstein shocks ,OME HD springs ,wheel bearings, stabilizer link bars, tie rod ends and kingsborne 789's, champion coppers, front, rear brake pads, serpentine belt ,spare serp belt kept on board , rear sun roof sealed tight. TF steering damper.

Last edited by texasdisco1; 04-14-2013 at 05:32 PM.
Old 04-14-2013, 05:29 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take fuids and a tool bag! Trust me, just got back from a 900 mile round trip to Biloxi, MS.. I had to change my stupid 7mm wires when I got there.

Got an ultraguage?

Old 04-14-2013, 05:35 PM
Drifting

No ultra gauge, already got the kingsborne 8mm just put them on

Old 04-14-2013, 05:50 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I couldn't find any 8mm anywhere that stocked them... Napa, AutoZone, Advance, O'Reilly... nobody had magnecor either! Is there a specific part number that will undoubtedly fit, that I could pick up?

The best anyone could do for me was the oem listed 7mm Duralast. I'm gonna yank these out as soon as I can! At least they got me home..

Old 04-14-2013, 06:31 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Just make sure everything is in good shape and full, you can buy fluids along the way, bring your cell phone and car charger.

Old 04-14-2013, 09:24 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

How far of a trip is that?
How's your fuel pump, starter, vacuum lines?
Have you replaced your tensioner pulley bearing?

Old 04-15-2013, 01:14 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

You can expect the people in Foley and Gulf Shores to drive better than many in Harris County. You'll have a great time and can find plenty of pork BBQ, not as common back in Texas. You'll have a great time. And there are boneyards along the way with Discos. See Find the Right Car, Right Now. - Pull-A-Part

Put in a 180F stat if you have not already.

Old 04-15-2013, 02:48 PM
Drifting

and if you have a problem in the new orleans area or have a problem and can limp in i will be more than happy help to you or someone out. i make the trip from austin to new orleans about once every other week in my 96 disco. She has never given me an issue its an easy flat drive.

Old 04-15-2013, 04:12 PM
Drifting

Thanks for all of the information so far. Going to replace the oil cooler lines this weekend. I will pickup a new thermostat as well, I haven't checked vacuum lines yet. According to the previous owner told me the starter was replaced 3 months ago 5 months ago now. Also purchased an ultragauge yesterday waiting on it's arrival this week. Thinking of replacing the fuel filter next weekend.

Old 04-15-2013, 06:22 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by texasdisco1
Thanks for all of the information so far. Going to replace the oil cooler lines this weekend. I will pickup a new thermostat as well, I haven't checked vacuum lines yet. According to the previous owner told me the starter was replaced 3 months ago 5 months ago now. Also purchased an ultragauge yesterday waiting on it's arrival this week. Thinking of replacing the fuel filter next weekend.
I am not sure if you have ever changed the fuel filter but here is a little advice I learned changing the fuel filter the day of my CO trip.
Make sure you have the right wrenches. ( I had some home but didn't take them with me and ended up having to buy some out in CO.) Even if it is not leaking take them with you. I noticed it leaking when I stopped to take a break, I was losing a lot of fuel.

It is easier if you have one on the filter and on line, don't completely tighten either side before connecting the other as it will increase difficulty. Then just test it out, I recommend also testing it on high RPM helps tell you if it is leaking. I didn't notice mine leaking with low RPM, until I was on the road with high RPM.

Have an awesome trip!

Last edited by LRchick; 04-15-2013 at 06:28 PM.

Quick Reply: Upcoming road trip.