Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Update on Overheating Problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 09:28 AM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Update on Overheating Problem

So I finally got some time this morning and got outside and started digging back into the cooling system. In case you don't remember I had an overheat problem, replaced the hoses, t-stat, belt, fan clutch, flushed the rad, and bled the system. Drove about a mile to wally world and overheated. So today I pop off the new t-stat and boil test it just to make sure and it works properly. This time I ensured that the swivel pin was at the 12 o'clock position (which I couldn't remember if I did last time) and went to take off the bleed screw to start filling and bleeding the system and the top of the bleed screw just fell off when I touched it. I have a brass one on the way but it is not here yet. So I was able to dig out the plastic pieces but some of them fell in the rad so I plan on just pulling it anyway to have it rodded so I will just leave it alone for now. Here is my question: do you think I was getting air in the system from the broken bleed screw and that caused the overheat after everything was replaced? I still don't think it is a HG problem as there is no sign of coolant in the oil, no oil in the coolant, and no smell at the exhaust. No signs of coolant when I pulled the spark plugs either. What do ya'll think?

Old 08-26-2010, 11:42 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

If it were leaking, you would see dried coolant around the bleed screw, so I doubt this is your problem.
Get it back together, bleed it well and if you still have a problem, recheck your new fan clutch, check both electric fans, still a problem, then do a coolant pressure test and or a chemical block test.
Let us know what you find.

Old 08-26-2010, 06:09 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Will do Mike. Glad to see you back btw. Everyone will be glad to see you hanging back around.