Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Used Discovery

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 05:29 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Used Discovery

Hi all,

I would like to start off saying I am new to these forums and thus still working my way around them, so bear with me if necessary!

Anyway, I am a college student looking at purchasing a car, and I really like the Discovery Series 1's. My other option, to be completely honest, is an old Audi quattro (80, 90, 4000, 100, etc.), but considering how hard these old Audi's are becoming to find, I am not entirely set on it.

I like the bombproof reliability of the 5 cylinders in the old Audis, and most of them came with a 5-speed. However, I have been doing some reading about the first-gen Disco's (is it okay to call them that? ), and, from what I have been able to find, they seem to be some pretty tough rigs.

Although I am aware that 5-speed versions did exist (I think I have seen one), they don't seem to be entirely common. What I see most is the 4-speed ZF 4HP22 in most of the vehicles I have come across.

Considering that I have read nothing but great things about the 3.9 Rover V8, my main concern in these would be the automatic, as that seems to be the next weakest link. What is everyone's experience with it? I have heard both sides when it comes to ZF. We had an original Audi allroad with a ZF box that had to be replaced after 60k miles, but other folks have seen theirs reach 200k miles with no issues. So, how does the 4HP22 fare in the Discovery's? I see there is a water-to-oil cooler that comes factory, so I would likely put an air-to-oil cooler on as well, just to be safe.

My budget is around $3,000, but I would like to stay in the low-to-mid $2,000 range. What do you guys think?

Thanks, and sorry for the long post!

Old 01-15-2014, 05:34 PM
3rd Gear

I should also mention that while I have never owned a vehicle myself, we have three cars as a family, and I am usually the one making sure they are meticulously maintained. One of them is a 6.0 Powerstroke Ford Super Duty, and if you have ever heard anything about them, you know they are very high-maintenance, so taking care of a vehicle isn't something that I struggle with.

Old 01-16-2014, 09:03 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Alright, been down the Quatro path myself both in the US and Germany, and the quarto (depending on year) is extremely hard to get parts for. The Disco 1's are great vehicles, but also require a lot of attention. The good part is most the parts are available through the British supplier & pull-a-part type suppliers (prefer the British Supplier myself but bits & pieces can add up), and are relatively easy to work on. I have yet to see a 5-speed Disco myself, and think the automatic transmission in these vehicles sufficient, and would also look for one with a 4.0l. The budget you have to work with is sufficient to get a good foundation vehicle to work with, and leave you some extra cash in case there's something they may need. I would suggest you find one that has service records & receipts with the truck as there are some things that (if done) would make spending a bit more logical (like head gaskets). I bought mine on a whim, and more than likely paid more than I should ($2880.00) knowing there was an oil leak, but I liked it, so to me the price was perfect as I didn't plan to leave it stock & it was the perfect foundation I was looking for. The big issues with these would be the head gaskets mentioned above, and the cooling system (the gauge is not a good reference as they are not that great). Take your time, and choose wisely.

Last edited by wrongway1; 01-16-2014 at 09:06 AM.
Old 01-16-2014, 11:06 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

3k should get you a pretty nice D1. Ive had no issues with my auto and it has 165k on it with unknown service and it has no problems. Im running lockers and 33s as well. I do plan on draining and refilling the fluid a couple times to get some fresh stuff in there.

Old 01-16-2014, 01:21 PM
Three Wheeling

No issues on my unmaintained zf box with 266k on the truck. Happy hunting.

Old 01-16-2014, 02:45 PM
3rd Gear

Okay, thanks guys! I have heard about the head gasket issue before. Hopefully that can be avoided. The other thing I read about were issues with leaking sunroofs? Anybody have any more information about this?

Thanks!

Old 01-16-2014, 06:33 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Rust. And rust. Oh, and don't forget to check for rust. Check the rear load space floor and the footwells. They also have a tendency to rust at the base of the a pillars. And the b pillars. And the wheel arches at the rear doors. The hoods usually hold up pretty well though.

Old 01-17-2014, 08:07 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They don't ALL rust. Our '96 looks new underneath, heck the only rust is on the exhaust bolts! So if you can find one from a place out here, rust isn't as much of an issue. Too bad climate doesn't have an effect on head gaskets...

Old 01-17-2014, 01:23 PM
Baja
Received 721 Likes on 626 Posts
Default Sunroofs

Originally Posted by stimm32
Okay, thanks guys! I have heard about the head gasket issue before. Hopefully that can be avoided. The other thing I read about were issues with leaking sunroofs? Anybody have any more information about this?

Thanks!
Leaking sunroofs are usually caused by clogged drain hoses. There is a water tray that has two nipples on either side that catches water and drains through the nipples down the tube. They can get clogged or broken and create leakage.

Some people just seal up the sunroofs. I have 1 non-sunroof vehicle and one sunroof vehicle. I NEVER use the sunroofs, they make some loud noise while driving. If you have the chance, get one without sunroofs, My $.02...

Old 01-18-2014, 07:49 AM
Rock Crawling

The sunroofs are just a PITA, IMHO. Mine has some rust at the rear door jambs. The trannys and driveline seem to be pretty robust as long as you keep good fluids in them, but leaks (mostly oil) are common. The head gasket repair is actually not as bad as you might fear (at least in hindsight !). The death wobble is common, usually swivel ball adjustment or steering box loose.