Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

VSS repair

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2016, 11:03 AM
TReK
Received 471 Likes on 388 Posts
Default VSS repair

The VSS on the D1 seems to generally bite the dirt around 100-120k. Replacements are silly expensive for what they are so rebuilding makes sense if it is effective.

The main problem seems to be when the magnet comes unglued from the shaft which spins it. The shaft is then free to exit the housing.

The shaft is a metal core with plastic around it and a slot to receive an adhesive (one slot on each of the flat sides of the shaft).

What is the best adhesive to use to keep the shaft and magnet together?

The other adhesive needed is that to keep the top of the housing sealed to the main housing. They both appear to be semi-metallic and I believe simple RTV will due but would again like to hear the wisdom of adhesive experts if there are any out there.

Any adhesive experts care to suggest what might be a good candidate to keep these two components together?

Here are some pictures to help...

Top housing of the VSS with old adhesive residue still on it....

Main housing of the VSS with grease inside it.

VSS top housing with internal components...

VSS shaft. That slot is there I suspect to hold adhesive which needs to stick to the inside of the hole in the magnet.

The shaft with the magnet not yet pushed into position. You can see the magnet will sit right on top of the slot in the shaft.

Final assembly of the internals and top housing to be dropped into and sealed to the main housing.