Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Want diagnosing help: rough idle at warm start-up

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 05:03 PM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
The fact that you have to "give it gas" to get the stumble to clear up is a sign fuel is leaking through the injectors into the cylinders. You actually aren't giving it gas, you are giving it more air to help burn the excess fuel. P1178 often shows up shortly before the fuel pump pukes.
This!

Attach fuel pressure gauge, pressurize fuel system, turn key off, watch for pressure drop.

Old 02-28-2012, 02:27 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Have you cleaned your MAF, P1178 used to live in my Disco until I cleaned the MAF.

Old 02-29-2012, 09:12 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
Have you cleaned your MAF, P1178 used to live in my Disco until I cleaned the MAF.
I think I cleaned it soon after purchase (over a year ago) but haven't since.

FYI - I haven't seen the code other then the one morning in popped up but wasn't there next start up.

I also haven't been able to get the stumble at warm start-up since changing the fuel filter either...doesn't mean its fixed, I don't have many warm start-ups.

Old 02-29-2012, 01:35 PM
Winching
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DiscoIIBrandon
I think I cleaned it soon after purchase (over a year ago) but haven't since.

FYI - I haven't seen the code other then the one morning in popped up but wasn't there next start up.

I also haven't been able to get the stumble at warm start-up since changing the fuel filter either...doesn't mean its fixed, I don't have many warm start-ups.
D to the B... three things you should do.

1. Buy 12 more O2 sensors
2. Buy a new fuel pump
3. install new fuel pump
4. Paint yer "bonnet"
5. Pay your friggin FLRC dues for 2012
6. attend the Spring Rally in Richloam
7. Wheel the snot out of that 97
8. if you are losing pressure at the rail it is either a bad injector(s) or the fuel pump. the FPR (as has been stated) merely regulates rail pressure based on manifold depression...

9. I have a spare WORKING window ecu for sale... one meeeiiiilllliiioooonn dollars.

Old 02-29-2012, 01:48 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Cosmic88
D to the B... three things you should do.

1. Buy 12 more O2 sensors
2. Buy a new fuel pump
3. install new fuel pump
4. Paint yer "bonnet"
5. Pay your friggin FLRC dues for 2012
6. attend the Spring Rally in Richloam
7. Wheel the snot out of that 97
8. if you are losing pressure at the rail it is either a bad injector(s) or the fuel pump. the FPR (as has been stated) merely regulates rail pressure based on manifold depression...

9. I have a spare WORKING window ecu for sale... one meeeiiiilllliiioooonn dollars.
Dangit, I really can't argue with anything on this list...though I've completed #1 and #5, and #4 is for mall crawlers. I mean seriously, I flat-blacked my wheels so I'm not too worried about appearance here!

You free this weekend? I could use your multi-meter professionalism and would bring consumable gifts.

Old 02-29-2012, 01:58 PM
Winching
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DiscoIIBrandon
Dangit, I really can't argue with anything on this list...though I've completed #1 and #5, and #4 is for mall crawlers. I mean seriously, I flat-blacked my wheels so I'm not too worried about appearance here!

You free this weekend? I could use your multi-meter professionalism and would bring consumable gifts.
WOW that is the fastest payment received (after months of cajoling) for dues EVER!

Sounds great and I have a deal for you... meet me halfway in Richloam. I'll be runnin the swamp this weekend and would be happy to have you come along. The mm and the mobile tool shop are always in the back (which is the only reason my mpg's suck) so if you've got the time, I'll meet ya up by sr 50 and I-75 sometime. Hell, I may even need you to pull me out of a muddy hole. bring your camera...

Old 02-29-2012, 02:10 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Cosmic88
WOW that is the fastest payment received (after months of cajoling) for dues EVER!

Sounds great and I have a deal for you... meet me halfway in Richloam. I'll be runnin the swamp this weekend and would be happy to have you come along. The mm and the mobile tool shop are always in the back (which is the only reason my mpg's suck) so if you've got the time, I'll meet ya up by sr 50 and I-75 sometime. Hell, I may even need you to pull me out of a muddy hole. bring your camera...
Hmm...I know a good deal when I see one. Let's meet Saturday.

Old 03-02-2012, 04:21 PM
Rock Crawling
Default Fuel Pressure results

Originally Posted by ptschram
This!

Attach fuel pressure gauge, pressurize fuel system, turn key off, watch for pressure drop.
I've got a fuel pressure gauge on it and am leaving it on all weekend to keep watch, but here's what I've gotten so far.

Hot idle: steady 32 psi
Turned off hot: steady 37 psi for at least 20 minutes
During stumble at hot start up: steady 32 psi
After sitting for a couple hours: currently around 20 psi

Cold Start ups: no stumble, starts right up no problem

Anything of note from these results?

I'm not sure how it could be related, but I think my brake booster diaphragm is toast - because whenever I apply pressure to my brakes it sounds like I'm airing down a tire. Brake's work fine like normal and pedal is normal, doesn't go to floor and isn't stiffer than normal. Any possible relation?

Also, I have a tick when warmed up and under load, the tick speed and loudness parallel heat and load (acceleration).

Old 03-02-2012, 11:28 PM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Don't start it hot...?

Old 03-04-2012, 05:56 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Chris-bob
Don't start it hot...?
Touche. And for the most part, I don't need to. However, I'd like to know if I can expect my fuel pump to go or have leaky injectors etc. so I can be proactive rather than get stranded...and obviously I don't want to just fix all possibilities for no reason.

Leaky injectors still seems to be my first guess, but the fuel pressure gauge didn't confirm it as the truck held pressure steady at 37psi after turned off for at least 20 minutes.

Quick Reply: Want diagnosing help: rough idle at warm start-up