Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

water in intercooler, how bad is it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 03:41 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default water in intercooler, how bad is it?

Having abit of overheating issues lately and today I had some help from a friend (currently not to sure if they still my friend)
So 300tdi disco hasn't been started since this incident (I'm hoping thats what saves a huge repair bill)
Anyway long story short I was off getting some parts and they decided they would flush out my radiator. Instead of flushing out radiator they did the intercooler.

He said he first put water through top pipe into intercooler and when nothing was coming out other end he put hose into manifold so I know water has gone in both directions.
I know all that water through there is bad and must be gotten out before engine is started so intercooler has been removed and drained most of air intake is removed and yes I found some water droplets all the way up in the airbox.
Haven't gotten around to removing manifolds yet but I guess thats gonna have to be done.

I have read this afternoon maybe removing glow plugs and turning engine over by hand should force water out of cylinders is this correct?

Any advice on what needs to be done to fix the issue (besides not let him near my car again)

Old 08-01-2014, 09:24 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 142 Likes on 113 Posts

I don't know on a diesel but on a regular gas engine I would definitely at very least pull the plugs and make very sure there is no water.

I suppose on a diesel it's a similar set up with the glow plugs. Check,check again and check again for water.