Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

water leaking from reservoir's cap

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 12:26 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello Friends,

I checked the engine oil and no water in the oil. I will remove and clean the radiator today. I live In S. California and it is always hot! Should I remove the thermostat?

I have been reading many post regarding the head gasket. Any particular treat you would recommend?

Please advice,
G.

Old 05-26-2014, 01:12 PM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

Look in the tech section there us a Stant # for 180* thermostat do not run with no stat.

I was saying check for leaves and such in between radiator and condenser, they get in there

The cleaning scouts referred to is having a shop disassemble the radiator and clean out all the gunk and calcium buildup, the calcium stops/slows heat transfer, I have had good luck in the past with this but EPA laws where I live prevent the good cooking to clean it so I bought new

If you are referring to hg repair in a can.... not sure it is a good idea, may just finish clogging the rad . And heater core

Last edited by TOM R; 05-26-2014 at 01:14 PM.
Old 05-26-2014, 07:37 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by TOM R
Look in the tech section there us a Stant # for 180* thermostat do not run with no stat.

I was saying check for leaves and such in between radiator and condenser, they get in there

The cleaning scouts referred to is having a shop disassemble the radiator and clean out all the gunk and calcium buildup, the calcium stops/slows heat transfer, I have had good luck in the past with this but EPA laws where I live prevent the good cooking to clean it so I bought new

If you are referring to hg repair in a can.... not sure it is a good idea, may just finish clogging the rad . And heater core
Thanks Tom for the educational info.

Should I by pass the heater core. I live in S. Cal and most of the time is hot. I can honestly tell you that I hardly ever use the heater. LOL

Old 05-26-2014, 07:46 PM
Three Wheeling

Friends,

Before I continue, I must point out that I am the second owner of this truck. I bought it eleven years ago with 135k. I have only put 7k on it. I mainly use the truck when I go to baja or to pick up items at home depot. I truly love the truck but I do not drive much. With that being said I should say that the previous owner did an excellent job taking care of it. She and her husband had it looking almost new. What leads me to believe that she did some major jobs such as radiator re-built and possibly head gasket.

As I inspected the radiator, I noticed that it had been repainted at the top. The yellow stickers are covered with black paint. I took before and after pictures to get some feedback from you guys.

Please tell me what you think. I will be taking the radiator to a shop for a second opinion. I truly do not want to pay for unnecessary repairs. Some shops cannot be trusted. Specially in my area.

Attached Thumbnails water leaking from reservoir's cap-20140526_141613.jpg   water leaking from reservoir's cap-20140526_141551aa.jpg   water leaking from reservoir's cap-20140526_143441a.jpg   water leaking from reservoir's cap-20140526_143126a.jpg  

Last edited by photo2u; 05-26-2014 at 07:57 PM.
Old 05-26-2014, 08:26 PM
Super Moderator

See all that crap in the fins, could be the whole problem, make sure you can see through the fins everywhere, also be sure you can see through all the fins of the condensor

Disconnecting the heater core will gain nothing

Is that oil on the fan clutch?

You can unscrew that brass plug and look in the radiator calcium looks like white build up where the tubes come into the bowel

If all looks good put it back in, use a 180* Stant, bleed real good, check the pump for wobble while out like scouts said, he is more experienced with rovers

I get the feeling that pic shows your problem/no air flow

Old 05-26-2014, 08:31 PM
Super Moderator

Also when cleaning that gunk out of the fins spray with degreaser, and hose from the back/fan side to push crap out same direction it came in, may need to go to self serve car wash/ use pressure washer

Old 05-26-2014, 09:00 PM
Three Wheeling

Also when cleaning that gunk out of the fins spray with degreaser, and hose from the back/fan side to push crap out same direction it came in, may need to go to self serve car wash/ use pressure washer
Thanks for your feedback

I will use my preasure washer and give it a once over very nice and will clean the fins with degreaser.

I will keep you guys updated as I progress. I do need a new steering wheel pump. It is making a mess all over is leaking bad it actually skirts liquid when I turn to get into a tight parking spot.

Thanks again.

Old 05-26-2014, 09:06 PM
Three Wheeling

Is that oil on the fan clutch?

You can unscrew that brass plug and look in the radiator calcium looks like white build up where the tubes come into the bowel
I do not think is oil. What it is power steering fluid? The white you see in the plug is teflon tape. I did open the plug and it looks good. No calcium. I will try to post a picture of the inside of the radiator.

Thanks again.

Old 05-26-2014, 10:02 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

Keep taking pics, helps a ton to figure out what's going on. If you would could you take a couple of shots of the fan clutch while your at it. I'm really suspicious, those things leak their silicon fluid wether being used or just sitting especially in hot weather.

Old 05-26-2014, 11:53 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by ihscouts
Keep taking pics, helps a ton to figure out what's going on. If you would could you take a couple of shots of the fan clutch while your at it. I'm really suspicious, those things leak their silicon fluid wether being used or just sitting especially in hot weather.
I will do that tomorrow morning! I had this one laying around. I will get a closer angle next time.

Attached Thumbnails water leaking from reservoir's cap-20140526_143427a.jpg  

Last edited by photo2u; 05-27-2014 at 12:00 AM.

Quick Reply: water leaking from reservoir's cap