Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

What i hate most about my discovery

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 09:29 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default What i hate most about my discovery

THE STUPID STUPID FRICKEN ENGINE CONTROL SYSTEM. ITS THE WORSE POS ON THESE TRUCKS.

After the sink I got everything back only issues are..

-ENGINE TEMP SENSOR
-High Idle
-possible transmission issues.

I went to the junk yard today and tossed in another ecu into my truck because the damn high idle that has ALWAYS haunted me is back. Second ecu did not help, I tried 3 IACVs and determined that the ecu is not sending it the correct signal so I tried ONE more, all was good idle was good so I went back in to get my window motors and when I come out, as happy as a clam I start my truck and WTF HIGH IDLE IS BACK..

I now know it has to be one of my sensors messing with every ecu I put into it, but I have no idea which one and no way to find out.

Id rather my truck be unreliable as in I have to replace physical parts but as far as bringing my truck to a shop to get charged 75$ to get testbook reset only for the problem to come right back is what pisses me off most about my truck

and I honestly think its just my truck because EVERY DAMN THREAD I READ, people fix their high idle [symptoms just like mine] with a oops bad iacv or oops i forgot i left the pvc hose off. But for me its NEVER a vaccume leak never a TPS and never a IACV..
THAT SAID READ MY POST IN DII section about an 03 I might get for CHEEEEP

Old 04-30-2011, 10:11 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I empathize with your frustration, as I am seriously considering ditching my Disco as well...however...if you are angry at your truck because of the electronic engine management, why would you go get a DII, which has a reputation of having a crappier engine management and electronics system?

Old 04-30-2011, 10:29 PM
Pro Wrench

Cause I never hear of anyone else having screwy in solvable issues and it's available.

I keep thinking jeep, but honestly I can't! I love land rovers. I would rather replace bearings ever 10k than deal With anything electronic... But have no
Choice with land rover

Originally Posted by UpChuck
I empathize with your frustration, as I am seriously considering ditching my Disco as well...however...if you are angry at your truck because of the electronic engine management, why would you go get a DII, which has a reputation of having a crappier engine management and electronics system?

Old 04-30-2011, 10:51 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Spencerfitch
Cause I never hear of anyone else having screwy in solvable issues
Ummmmm....Is anybody else reading this? Are you talking about the same DII's I'm talking about? If I recall correctly, you have to be VERY careful about buying an '03, for example, because there was a problem with the oil pump or something, and the only way to solve it was to get a new engine. Search "dreaded VIN range" and see what you come up with.
Honestly dude, if you don't like electronics, I really don't think the DII is going to solve ANY of your problems.
Go buy a Jeep. I had one for a while, and it was great. I put over 40K miles on it in about 4 years, drove it all over the damn country, and barely had the total amount of trouble I've had with my stupid Disco with less than a year of ownership. It got better gas mileage, and was just as quick as the Disco, even with a four-cylinder motor. You can buys parts for them anywhere and everywhere, and for cheap. A Jeep may not be as "cool" as your Disco, but at least you'll get to drive it, chicks will dig it, and people won't give you that, "why in the heck did you buy a Land Rover" look.

Last edited by UpChuck; 04-30-2011 at 10:54 PM.
Old 04-30-2011, 10:51 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

SO what is up with yours? How Much?

Old 04-30-2011, 10:53 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The new Nissan Titan 4X4 is sweet truck.

Old 04-30-2011, 11:15 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
SO what is up with yours? How Much?
Excuse the temporary hijack....

Mine left me high and dry the other day at a QT due to the stop light switch failing, and left me stuck in park. Granted, this turned out not to be a huge deal. Searching the forums saved my butt later, and I jumpered the switch and drove home. However, this particular day was NOT the day for the Disco to f@$k with me, and it's on my s@#t list now. I've decided that vehicle ownership should not be this much work. If I had more time and money to screw with it, maybe I would. But this particular incident happened on a day when there was about 32 action-packed hours between when I got out of bed and got back into it, and I just don't have time for Rover shenanigans.
I'm probably going to start asking $4500 for it, which may sound a little high, but you don't come by Disco's very often around here, and they're usually not in very good shape. I've got some more little issues to fix up, but when I'm ready to sell it (probably mid or end of summer), it should be in pretty nice shape. Most everything works, I just want to get some of the nuisance gripes taken care of, it needs new tires (had a blow out), etc...

....end hijack.

Old 04-30-2011, 11:19 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
The new Nissan Titan 4X4 is sweet truck.
too damn big.

I owned a frontier 4X4 07 pretty nice

Old 04-30-2011, 11:26 PM
Pro Wrench

Ummmmm....Is anybody else reading this? Are you talking about the same DII's I'm talking about? If I recall correctly, you have to be VERY careful about buying an '03, for example, because there was a problem with the oil pump or something, and the only way to solve it was to get a new engine. Search "dreaded VIN range" and see what you come up with.
Honestly dude, if you don't like electronics, I really don't think the DII is going to solve ANY of your problems.
Go buy a Jeep. I had one for a while, and it was great. I put over 40K miles on it in about 4 years, drove it all over the damn country, and barely had the total amount of trouble I've had with my stupid Disco with less than a year of ownership. It got better gas mileage, and was just as quick as the Disco, even with a four-cylinder motor. You can buys parts for them anywhere and everywhere, and for cheap. A Jeep may not be as "cool" as your Disco, but at least you'll get to drive it, chicks will dig it, and people won't give you that, "why in the heck did you buy a Land Rover" look.
I guess I aught to spend more time on the DII side..

I understand it has more electronics but its like this..

Stereo breaks, ok big deal
Climate control breaks big deal.
Id rather stuff completely die out on me than having these two issues with my truck..

Engine idles high why? dont know, shop never told me I replaced ecu all was good. till now

Engine can't run worth a damn if temperature gets over 60* outside. Why? WTF does the temperature have to do with it idling perfect and it idleing like its runnin on 1 cyl. And its not like it gradually progresses as the temperature i rises its like 59* all is well 60* go to hell.

I just tried looking at jeeps.. I just can't do it. WAYY over priced, and they look like crap....

Why does it have to be this way...

Old 05-01-2011, 12:08 AM
Rock Crawling

What is your price range? I'll probably get a lot of hate mail for this, but have you considered Toyota? They're a little pricier for a similar vintage as our DI's, and usually a little higher mileage, but that's because they last that long. Personally, I've got my eye out for a 95-97 Land Cruiser. Same sort of vehicle as the Disco in terms of size, creature comforts and off-road abilities (for the average bear). Only problem is finding them with less than 200K and under $6000. There is also the 4runners. Just sayin'.
My boss is British, and I asked him if he wanted to buy my Disco. He said, and I quote, "Not a bloody chance." He said he spent a lot of time driving MOD Series Rovers, and they were good, but that everytime they deployed to the gulf they left their Rovers behind and rented....drum roll please....Toyota Land Cruisers! He also said they coudn't break em'. They tried.
I also have a buddy from South Africa. I asked him one day if anyone down there had Rovers. He said only the rich folk. Everybody else drove....Toyotas! And now that he lives in America he drives....a Toyota!
I love the character and pedigree of the Rovers, but seriously. It's just a truck. It shouldn't be this much trouble.

Quick Reply: What i hate most about my discovery