Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

What i hate most about my discovery

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 01:00 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not as sexy? A disco has to be built to look sexy, my disco aint ****e sexy, yours oh yeah.
Tell you what put a for sale sign with " $5k, 250,000 miles" on those two runners and your Disco. You wanna wager which to get the most calls and get sold the fastest?

That 4runner also had a genius "no interference" design to avoid all of the problems that plague other vehicles with bad head gaskets, timing belts etc. to keep people from ruining the motor.

Old 05-01-2011, 01:00 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have been through the list..
4runners
Land cruisers
Tacomas
Xterras
Frontiers
Jeeps

None of them really do it for me. It's the most frustraiting thing to be in love with a vehicle on the outside and hate it under the hood.

If I could do a diesel swap I would

Old 05-01-2011, 01:01 AM
Mudding

I will say that even with 3 different tires on my Rover it rides smoother than any truck I've ever owned.

Old 05-01-2011, 01:02 AM
Rock Crawling

No, no. I LIKE the Toyotas. I think that 2nd gen of 4Runners looks great. And like I said, I've got my eye out for a Land Cruiser.
But as far as sex appeal goes, I've gotta side with Spence. If there is one thing that Land Rover does really, really well, it's the aesthetics. And I think the basic platform is good, but like Jeremy Clarkson on Top Gear said about the Range Rover Classic, "It's a brilliant piece of engineering that's been ruined by, 'That'll do.'"
Basically, if these things were built to last more like a Toyota, they would be worth every penny of what they cost when new, and people would ****** them up every chance they got.

Last edited by UpChuck; 05-01-2011 at 01:05 AM.
Old 05-01-2011, 01:05 AM
Pro Wrench

It's cause people are afraid of land rovers. Honestly mechanically I think their fine for me it all boils down to that damn computer.

ONE OF THE BIGGEST REASONS I HATE IT is because your engine can be running backwards or your pistons can be firing in what ever the he'll order they want and you won't get one damn code at least I don't.

Give me a high idle that's fine NOW TELL ME WHY THE HECK YOUR DOING IT SO I CAN FIX IT YOU POS. I would gladly replace any sensor to fix my vehicle BUT I CANT STAND DAMN GUESSING.

Old 05-01-2011, 01:09 AM
Mudding

My question is if you were building the best 4x4 by far why any electronics at all? When I pop that hood it should look like a 20R/22R under there. Although with important must stay high and dry stuff, high and dry. Oh and seals, cmon really, buy your damned seals from the Japs. How is it that seals have gotten worse from the 80's.

Upchuck I bought a 95 4runner with 133k on it. Spent less than 1k in 5 years on shop maintenance and this was the model that was supposed to be the worst( head gaskets). Sold it at 163 for $500 less than what I paid for it. Not once did I turn that key and not get love back.

Old 05-01-2011, 01:10 AM
Mudding

spence I'm sure you did but did you check the evap lines

Old 05-01-2011, 01:10 AM
Pro Wrench

And this seems to only be a problem I experience that's why I was always hoping in the back of my mind a new disco, if any problems existed I might actually be alerted by the check engine light like I see EVERYONE else gets. I ran with Maf unplugged, tps unplugged iacv unplugged knock sensor unplugged and the MIL never came on. But it does like to tell me stupid **** like my post cat o2 is bad. Like I give a damn

Old 05-01-2011, 01:11 AM
Mudding

DannyLee is about to blow a gasket and spew transmission fluid all over us when he wakes up in the am and reads this thread while sipping his Folgers. We better shut this thing down and erase all the evdidence when were done here.

Old 05-01-2011, 01:11 AM
Pro Wrench

Bought my 4runner for 4k

Sold it with bad headgasket horrible paint horrible rocker panel paint job, no carpet and Berliner floor for 4k...

No loss

Originally Posted by jacumja
My question is if you were building the best 4x4 by far why any electronics at all? When I pop that hood it should look like a 20R/22R under there. Although with important must stay high and dry stuff, high and dry. Oh and seals, cmon really, buy your damned seals from the Japs. How is it that seals have gotten worse from the 80's.

Upchuck I bought a 95 4runner with 133k on it. Spent less than 1k in 5 years on shop maintenance and this was the model that was supposed to be the worst( head gaskets). Sold it at 163 for $500 less than what I paid for it. Not once did I turn that key and not get love back.

Quick Reply: What i hate most about my discovery