Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

What Tires You Can Fit On Your Disco w/ What Modification(s)

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 06:00 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jake1996D1
This is your thread buddy do some research. A ton of the guys on dweb are running 33"-37" tires... Just search dont start any threads like this unless you want to get roasted.
Jake, in his defense, you can do 90% of the trails out there with 33's (including the Rubicon in California...which I have done on 32's). If you need bigger than 33's you are either into serious rock crawling and know you stuff, or you are a poser who won't listen anyway.

Obviously I am over generalizing...but you get the point. The list has to stop somewhere...unless you want him to go all the way up to 66's (monster truck tires).

Old 04-26-2012, 07:10 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by shaggy52282
Jake, in his defense, you can do 90% of the trails out there with 33's (including the Rubicon in California...which I have done on 32's). If you need bigger than 33's you are either into serious rock crawling and know you stuff, or you are a poser who won't listen anyway.

Obviously I am over generalizing...but you get the point. The list has to stop somewhere...unless you want him to go all the way up to 66's (monster truck tires).
My point is it - it is becoming more and more common to see rovers on 35's-37's. Pretty much nobody here knows what it takes. So I figured it would be good information to share..

There are plenty of trails out here on the east coast that you would be stupid to try on 32's (trust me I've tried some).. With that said the reason I suggested it is because then you can help educate people on the strength of the equipment needed. I.E. how weak stock diffs, axles and CV's are. What you should look at doing if you're going to go above 33" tires or even using lockers with 33" tires.. Or information about Toy conversions for guys looking to run 37's

I mean come on who wouldnt want to learn about this.....

Name:  FinalRideHeight.jpg
Views: 11974
Size:  59.6 KB

Old 04-26-2012, 07:21 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And my point was that going bigger than 33's would take way more than a basic tire fitment thread. Up to 33's you can get away with a 1 sentence explanation of what needs to happen, beyond 33's takes a complete build thread.

Also, I never claimed you would be smart for doing 90% of the trails on 33's, just that it was possible (except maybe mud pits...but I don't consider mud pits "trails"). Many of the trails I did on 31's or 32's I shouldn't have done, but I was with built trucks with lots of recovery equipment and guys more than happy to save my bacon if I needed it supporting/pushing me along. In situations like that, when you can "safely" push your truck to the limits you realize just how much you can do with a mostly stock truck.

Old 04-26-2012, 07:26 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by shaggy52282
And my point was that going bigger than 33's would take way more than a basic tire fitment thread. Up to 33's you can get away with a 1 sentence explanation of what needs to happen, beyond 33's takes a complete build thread.

Also, I never claimed you would be smart for doing 90% of the trails on 33's, just that it was possible (except maybe mud pits...but I don't consider mud pits "trails"). Many of the trails I did on 31's or 32's I shouldn't have done, but I was with built trucks with lots of recovery equipment and guys more than happy to save my bacon if I needed it supporting/pushing me along. In situations like that, when you can "safely" push your truck to the limits you realize just how much you can do with a mostly stock truck.
Yea I just get bored with the same old.. what do I have to do to fit 32" tires threads.. Lets talk about something interesting for once. The reason this thread was start is because some newbie comes a long and asks what tire to run and what they have to do every week I get it..

I also prefer to drive trails and not be recovered thru them... I prefer to be the guy with the built truck waiting on the other end or helping the less built trucks get thru the crazy hard trails. I also like a little competition every now and then.. Be it another built Rover or in my neck of the woods a Jeep. Always fun to show the hardcore Jeep guys what a real built Rover can do.

Old 04-26-2012, 07:36 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 225 Likes on 194 Posts

Yea I just get bored with the same old.. what do I have to do to fit 32" tires threads.. Lets talk about something interesting for once. The reason this thread was start is because some newbie comes a long and asks what tire to run and what they have to do every week I get it..
Jake you're in the wrong place. Its a good forum but seeing 3 "my engine ticks" or "what size tires" threads on the first page is common. On Dweb one would be told to "F*#$ing search", not the case here. All the same this forum is nice and its a good place to pass on knowledge.

Copied from Dweb:

Discovery
  • 235/70-16: Stock tire size.
  • 205/80-16: Stock size in many other countries. same height as 235/70-16.
  • 255/65-16: same height as stock
  • 225/75-16: little taller than stock
  • 245/70-16: little taller and wider than the stock size. reportedly, no need for lift, just minor trimming to fit those tires.
  • 245/75-16: popular size for OME suspension lifted vehicles. require slight trimming on the rear wheel well fender, and may also call for adjustment on the steering bumpstops.
  • 215/85-16: same height as 245/75-16. but narrower. seems to be preferred for the snow and mud.
  • 265/70-16: about as tall as 245/75-16, but wider. will require more trimming and steering bump stops adjustments along with taller bump stops over the rear axle.
  • 265/75-16: almost 32" tall. Same as stock NAS D90 tires. Will require even more trimming.
  • 235/85-16: same height as 265/75-16 but narrower. And seems to be the most popular size with OME lift.
  • 255/85-16: about 33" tall...very few people have fitted this size. Lots of butchering for this one.
  • 285/75-16: about 33" also... but very very wide.

Old 04-26-2012, 07:42 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

My .02 that doesn't mean much, I have a friend with a jeep wrangler on 35's suspension and stuff. Got stuck on the side of the road after some snow and I had to pull him out. Claire is completely stock and on street tires lol. I'm not sure exactly what is needed to fit 35" or 60" I just posted something people normally would want to know and instead of asking that thread over and over, like you said you get tired of them and we all do, hell I even ask the same question sometimes just so when the next guy searches he won't have to dig through 20 year old threads. So I made this thread which I hope gets stickied so instead of thoroughly explaining it over and over we can say, "check the sticky."

Old 04-26-2012, 07:47 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by fishEH
Jake you're in the wrong place. Its a good forum but seeing 3 "my engine ticks" or "what size tires" threads on the first page is common. On Dweb one would be told to "F*#$ing search", not the case here. All the same this forum is nice and its a good place to pass on knowledge.

Copied from Dweb:

Discovery
  • 235/70-16: Stock tire size.
  • 205/80-16: Stock size in many other countries. same height as 235/70-16.
  • 255/65-16: same height as stock
  • 225/75-16: little taller than stock
  • 245/70-16: little taller and wider than the stock size. reportedly, no need for lift, just minor trimming to fit those tires.
  • 245/75-16: popular size for OME suspension lifted vehicles. require slight trimming on the rear wheel well fender, and may also call for adjustment on the steering bumpstops.
  • 215/85-16: same height as 245/75-16. but narrower. seems to be preferred for the snow and mud.
  • 265/70-16: about as tall as 245/75-16, but wider. will require more trimming and steering bump stops adjustments along with taller bump stops over the rear axle.
  • 265/75-16: almost 32" tall. Same as stock NAS D90 tires. Will require even more trimming.
  • 235/85-16: same height as 265/75-16 but narrower. And seems to be the most popular size with OME lift.
  • 255/85-16: about 33" tall...very few people have fitted this size. Lots of butchering for this one.
  • 285/75-16: about 33" also... but very very wide.

I get bored when dweb doesnt have any action.. That tire fitment list from dweb is old as dirt. Now everybody and their mother is fitting 255's

Old 04-26-2012, 07:54 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Take up sewing? Lol jkjkjk why don't you find a way to install a turbo in our engines without blowing the internals into sawdust? No joke

Old 04-26-2012, 08:22 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 225 Likes on 194 Posts

I get bored when dweb doesnt have any action.. That tire fitment list from dweb is old as dirt. Now everybody and their mother is fitting 255's
Take away the "Very few people have fitted this size" and its still relevant.
And I forgot your ADD, sorry.

Old 04-26-2012, 08:33 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you did sew well you could make some cool seat covers or spare tire covers at least!

I did like that Silver Disco with the top cut off and the wheel wells almost to the hood opening.

Quick Reply: What Tires You Can Fit On Your Disco w/ What Modification(s)