Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

What are the toughest LR axles for stock Disco housings?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2015, 08:27 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What are the toughest LR axles for stock Disco housings?

I recently had all new 4.43 gears with new ARB lockers installed, front and back in to the D1. 'Got the thrust bolts, too. The front axles are still stock and the rear are brand new from GBRutah.com ( Coil Sprung ? Axles | GBR Utah ). The tires are Cooper Discoverer STT 34.5" tires.

I was going on about my third outing since the install and snapped the new chromoly driver side rear axle, going SLOW up a hill. I did have some rubbing of my rock slider, sideways against a rock, and the front and rear lockers were engaged, but there shouldn't have been a high risk of snapping that axle. I had been through that same spot previously without issues.

What is out there that is tougher? I don't want to swap over to Dana 60s or a different full swap (that would be a waste of the brand new ARBs and gears, right?). At the worst, if I have to put the same type of axle back in it, I will, then limit where I drive my rig... AND THEN BUY A FRIGGIN ROCK BUGGY TO DO REAL FOUR WHEELING WITH.

I love my truck, but jeeeeeeez. Do you have any suggestions about a tougher axle? Also getting ready to install a brand new 4.6 motor that I've already paid for. Ugh. Timing.

Thanks for your ideas!

Jeff in Tucson

Old 07-19-2015, 10:05 PM
Mudding
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Did you have any wheel spin with sudden traction? The HD axles should not have snapped that easily. I've got a set of Ashcroft axles, which I bought used from someone running 35's with a heavy foot. I've been running them for a couple of years now first with 315/75 and now with Q78 Swampers (35.5") and I'm not easy on them all the time. I had a friend that used to smoke his 36" TSL's for extended periods of time with ashcroft axles. I've also run Rover Tracks axles in the past with no issues but those are NLA.

I've never ran the GBR axles but always heard good things about them. Maybe Bill just got a bad batch in. Have you talked to him about this?

The only time I've seen axles snap is during heavy throttle wheel spin and then catching traction. But just climbing a hill or slow obstacles I've not seen them break.

Old 07-19-2015, 11:39 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,485 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Ashcrofts are some of the best.

Old 07-20-2015, 06:47 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 225 Likes on 194 Posts

I have Tibus front and RoverTracks rear. The short side RoverTracks is twisted all to hell but it hasn't snapped yet.
I be calling GBR and asking WTH!? They shouldn't snap if you were going as easy as you say.

Old 07-24-2015, 10:44 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

For sure contact GBR about that. But I did love my D2 ashcrofts. Will be getting them for my D1 as well

Old 07-24-2015, 02:49 PM
Mudding
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by fishEH
I have Tibus front and RoverTracks rear. The short side RoverTracks is twisted all to hell but it hasn't snapped yet.
I be calling GBR and asking WTH!? They shouldn't snap if you were going as easy as you say.
I'm afraid to pull mine after the hell I put them through in April. The rear ones had a very slight twist to them when I bought them used. I've heard people say you can get up to 180' of twist out of them before they snap.