Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

What are your top 5...needs, mods, wants, etc?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 08:19 AM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What are your top 5...needs, mods, wants, etc?

So thought I've enjoyed endless searching here and on da interwebs, I though I might simply ask this question and then sift through the results in a a single thread. Perhaps it would even be useful for others.

Question is what are your top 5 things to do with a "new" Disco 1? Could be mods, could be maintenance, could be a combo....consider it a question to you personally for your situation which may be daily driver only, off road only, combo, etc. I think in my case it will be some minor maintenance and a few changes/upgrades which I'll post about specifically but in general, here's the list I think I have:

1. Maintenance (TBD but should be basic)
2. Replace 265 tires with 235/85 (prolly wheels too)
3. Roof rack
4. ??
5. ??

Cheers.

Last edited by RacerX; 03-12-2013 at 08:34 AM.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:30 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i bought my disco a good 6 months ago, and so far i have done as far as maintenance/repair stuff goes, some of the basic things like new viscous clutch; water pump, vacuum hoses, bigger oil filter, general tune-up (ignition and fuel), wheel bearings and brakes are on my plate right now along with handbrake shoes, power steering leak fix, and rear diff fluid change. Next will be tranny service...

As it goes for mods, i really need to drive these oversized tires off my rig before i can even consider a lift! I want to match the spare, which is the michelin 4x4 xpc correct size tire.

Last edited by tooltech; 03-12-2013 at 08:36 AM.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:45 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my D1 list follows and it's on schedual...
  • Strip out all the dead weight
  • more POWAHHH!!!
  • lighter wheels and tire combination
  • lighter suspension components
  • shell modifications
Chris

Old 03-12-2013, 09:47 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

1. Obtain your own copy of the RAVE shop manual set and study it. Learn how to use the search button in Adobe reader pdf software.

2. Realize that heat is a serious but hidden problem because of the factory gauges. Consider an Ultra Gauge or a scanner.

3. Change oil and other fluids early and often. Don't try to get 150,000 out of radiator coolant, diff oil, or tranny fluid.

4. If you use a forklift to move your check book, you can mod a Rover to do anything. But 20 inch lift and 1200 hp takes time and money. They are pretty good in stock trim. But getting stuck can be fun.

5. If you spend all your time under the truck there is less time to enjoy it. Life is a compromise in many ways.

Attached Thumbnails What are your top 5...needs, mods, wants, etc?-wallet.jpg   What are your top 5...needs, mods, wants, etc?-rover-recovery-team.jpg   What are your top 5...needs, mods, wants, etc?-rover-parking.jpg   What are your top 5...needs, mods, wants, etc?-p1120320.jpg   What are your top 5...needs, mods, wants, etc?-1995_range_rover_classic_swb_supercharger_eaton_m62_for_sale_engine_resize.jpg  

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 03-12-2013 at 10:26 AM.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:58 AM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
1. Obtain your own copy of the RAVE shop manual set and study it. Learn how to use the search button.

2. Realize that heat is a serious but hidden problem because of the factory gauges. Consider an Ultra Gauge or a scanner.

3. Change oil and other fluids early and often. Don't try to get 150,000 out of radiator coolant, diff oil, or tranny fluid.

4. If you use a forklift to move your check book, you can mod a Rover to do anything. But 20 inch lift and 1200 hp takes time and money. They are pretty good in stock trim. But getting stuck can be fun.

5. If you spend all your time under the truck there is less time to enjoy it. Life is a compromise in many ways.
1. Have Rave's, will begin using them right soon.
2. This is on my list as part of maintenance....at least the UltraGauge, have OBDCOM scanner/code reader.
3. Heh, you mean they're not lifetime? ; )
4. Werd.
5. Double Werd.

Cheers.

Old 03-12-2013, 10:04 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

UltraGauge is definitely my next present that I'll have to hint hint at the wife to get me for father's day

Old 03-12-2013, 10:32 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

I forgot to mention the most obvious, mud, glorious mud, with friends who enjoy it. And adventure, even shared with other Rover owners across the rest of this orb we inhabit.

Attached Thumbnails What are your top 5...needs, mods, wants, etc?-2_defender_girls_stuck_in_mud_013.jpg   What are your top 5...needs, mods, wants, etc?-offroad6.jpg   What are your top 5...needs, mods, wants, etc?-lions_attack_safari.jpg  

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 03-12-2013 at 10:36 AM.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:49 AM
TReK
Received 439 Likes on 365 Posts

maintenance....
- rebuild drive shaft
- change diff oil
- add grease to CV's
- could be a pan valley gasket in my future

Old 03-12-2013, 05:18 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1. RAVE (I have it on my iPad to read during boring times)
2. OBD2 scanner/reader
3. Maintenance. No sense adding stuff if the truck is gonna break. Fix it now. Replace it before it fails if it looks shaky.
4. Wheels/Tires. Good cosmetic/functional/safety upgrade.
5. Equipment/Fun stuff. Tools (truck and garage), rack, hi-lift, bumpers, lights, etc.

Old 03-12-2013, 05:34 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

1. Stay ahead of things that break!
2. See 1
3. See 1
4. See 1
5.Custom build rear and front bumper.

Quick Reply: What are your top 5...needs, mods, wants, etc?