Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Wheel drifting from side to side while driving...

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 09:28 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by antichrist
Rear axles don't have swivels.
A bad CV isn't going to cause a loose wheel.

The tie rods ends are definitely bad.
If the wheel moves with no movement in the tie rod ends then you've got loose wheel bearings as well.
When you order the tie rod ends I'd get RTC3511 double lip hub seals and the paper drive flange gaskets, maybe a couple hub bearing lock washers just in case. The bearings you can get locally a lot cheaper.
You don't say which D1 it is. If the 97 then your swivel pins are probably ok, if the 96 they could be due for a rebuild and you'd want to get a rebuild kit as well.
I know the rear diff does not have a swivel, just worded my reply wrong.
As for the CV joint, I think as bad as this was allowed to get justifies at least inspecting the swivel and then properly servicing them.

Old 10-10-2010, 10:51 AM
Winching
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll most likely tear it all down and repack the bearing check the CV join etc... I've done so much to this truck already that I might as well continue and do it right. I've been going over it in RAVE and it looks doable, I don't have the "special" tools, but that has never stopped me before. Looking at it, I should be able to go ahead and do the ball joints, then tackle the rest when they are done. All this means that I'll have to hold off on the IACV longer since there is no point in taking it to the dealer to program if I can't drive it home.

If anyone has old IACV or TPS laying around it would be nice to at least try to put them on. specifically the the IACV. Yesterday when I took it of again the plunger was defiantly seized on mine. I soaked it in gas for 2 hours and got it to the point where it would turn, but still no movement in or out... I'm not really sure what it's suppose to be like but that just doesn't seem right to me. If I need I could remove the one from my 97 and put it on just to test it I would but I'm afraid to hose the 97 and It's my only running car right now.

Old 10-10-2010, 01:12 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

You really won't need any special tools if you are creative, I helped this last week and the only tools used were needle noise pliers, screw driver, cold chisel and some imagination.

Old 10-11-2010, 09:20 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Wander in the front in won't have anything to do with the CV joints. The CV's may in fact be bad or need to be lubed, but it's not the cause of the wander.
The wander is suspension bushings, tie rods, hub bearings or swivel preload.
The CV's don't have anything to do with swivel preload.

Originally Posted by ngarover
Cool Thanks guys. It's going to be it bit before I can order any of this but It's good to have a list.
I certainly hope you're not going to continue to drive it light that.

Old 10-11-2010, 09:24 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

X2, do not even think about driving it... It is almost off there. I would say some prayers tonight in thanks the drag link didn't pop right off..... I'll bet if you push enough it will come right off...

Oh, and FYI, the front bar has a RH and a LH thread ball joint, and the rear bar has 2 RH thread ball joints... Front bar is for centering your steering wheel (drag link) and rear bar is for the toe (track rod).

Old 10-11-2010, 10:28 AM
Winching
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

LOL... this is the 96... I couldn't drive it if I wanted to , it's the one that will not run.