LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shimmering in steering wheel while driving

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 08:18 PM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Shimmering in steering wheel while driving

My steering wheel has been shimmering more and more lately and I'm pretty certain that it is the alignment. ANy recommendations? Should I take it to dealer to let them change the radius rods ends/tie-rod ends or replace them myself? Most of my experiences with steering wheel shimmering is with Army HMMWVs and 90% of the time, it is the tie-rod ends. Is that what could be causing the shimmer, or is there something else that could be causing this? I checked the rotors; they're good. The wheel bearings seem to be fine. I think I narrowed it down to the tie-rod ends. What do you guys think? Thanks.

Old 12-23-2010, 05:52 AM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

how about diagnosis at the dealer before changing anything. they can drive it with you and give you an idea of what is the problem. if its a steering wheel vibration they can rebalance the tires. if its a pulsation they can look for the cause whether its front or rear. if you have significant tire wear they can also examine it for loose parts.

Take a test drive with the shop foreman and have them diagnose it for an hour. You might be pleasantly surprised on what is wrong.

Old 12-23-2010, 01:50 PM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't believe that I overlooked the possibility of the tires being out of balance. I can do that myself at our "you do it yourself" workshop over on post. I was having some uneven tire wear but I think that came from not rotating my tires in over a year like I know I'm supposed to do. Needless to say, I have been slacking on the preventive maintenance that I preach to everyone else as a mechanic. You know what they say, "a mechanic's car is always worse than the clients because they are always working on other people's cars." I finally got around to cutting the ends off of the front roof drains like you advised me to do a while ago so my truck would stop leaking on me after it rains a lot. I will look into checking the balance on my tires and if that doesn't fix it then I will take it to LR dealer to have a diagnostic check done by them.

Old 12-24-2010, 02:40 PM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

My disco one is as bad as your LR3. I finally got to change the oil and repack the wheel bearings.

still got to fix other stuff but two hours at time or outside in the cold.

Old 12-26-2010, 09:30 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These cars eat tires, they are not designed to go down the road at 90mph, have your tires inspected at the dealer.