Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Wheel Hub

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 06:39 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel Hub

Hi Guys

I was wondering if any of you guys have replaced the seals in the wheel hub area? Mine is leaking fluid. I found the seals in need. Does this job take any special tools to fix this? the leak is on the back side of the left front tire.

Thank You
Walter

Old 06-10-2011, 07:33 PM
Winching
Location: Oklahoma; where the winds come rolling down the plains.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

RAVE explains this process and will let you know what tools you will need. I have been putting mine off. Do they leave puddles. Mine are actually just staying moist. I Kind of like that, it lets me know that area is well lubed. I just watch my level and top off once a month. Both of mine leak. Until it is actually dripping I'll just leave it as is.

Old 06-10-2011, 08:37 PM
Drifting

Hi LRD2&ME
Are you talking about the Rave Manual? Yes mine leaves a puddle. What fluid should I use in mine? Then it won't hurt to drive it?

Thank You

Old 06-11-2011, 02:41 PM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

use the one time grease shot they give you.

the trick to do the job is pull the caliper off, and pull the six bolts to the hub assembly on the back side, pull the axle out as an assembly and remove the small bolts that hold the seal on and install a new seal and stick the axle back in.

takes a half and hour to do the job instead of two with all additional seals. unless its rusted up or its been a long time since the thing has had the grease repacked then take it out the rave way. but its a good idea to install new swivel ball bearings by taking out the two bolts that hold down the caliper line and install a new bearing to ensure that you dont looseness again. plus it will eliminate the death shake after hitting a bump.

Old 06-11-2011, 05:22 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

So, Roving4life, you are advocating he ignore the wheel bearings? Your advice scares me.

Noone has yet mentioned the vents on the axles and the fact if they are clogged that it will push the front diff fluid out thru the seals.

I would rather advocate a complete proper disassembly of the hubs to evaluate the condition of the wheel bearings. Especially if he just bought it and does not know if or when the bearings were last serviced.

If one of those bearings fails at speed, it will "weld " itself to the stub axle and be much more difficult and expensive to resolve than if he plans to do a full bearing service or replacement. You will need a special adapter to remove the wheel bearing lock nuts. RovahFarms has them for under 10 bucks. Everywhere else I have seen charges 20 or more for the adapter alone.

If you are not familar with the Discovery front axle, I would plan on all day instead of two hours, especially if the wheels, brakes,a nd hubs have not been removed recently. I have read some real horror stories on here where people jumped in assuming it was a small task and became overwhe;med. Even worse when they take it to a tire place or a mechanic that is not Rover familar and they resort to beating the things apart.

Good Luck.

Old 06-11-2011, 08:05 PM
Drifting

Hi Guys

Then this could be a job to do. I do all my own work on vehicles. I printed the wheel hub assembly off the Rave Manual. I will not do this for a couple weeks til i get the seals for it. The 95 Disco have little over 212,000 miles on it.

Thank You
Walter

Old 06-11-2011, 08:19 PM
Drifting

Hi Danny Lee 97 Disco

For the wheel bearing lock nuts I need the Hub Nut Spanner rite? Any other tools?

Thank You

Old 06-11-2011, 10:23 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Do not ignore the wheel bearings. You need 4 bearings for each axle, front and rear so that is a total of 8 to do both front and rear. You have to pull the hub and unbolt the rotors from the hub to gain access to the bearings. With that high milage I would suggest you be prepared. I also bought all new mounting hardware for everything and I mean everything. Mine had been somewhat ignored by PO and I had a lot of corroded and or deformed items to deal with.

On my rear axle I had to replace calipers, rotors and pads. I was able to clean and repack the bearings. You may need either a brass drift or a good punch to beat the inner raceways(?) out if replacing the bearings. According to Tom, it is ok to leave in the old one when repacking but not when replacing as it is worn to match the old bearings. So get bearing grease. Brake cleaner spray, antiseize compound. PB Blaster is also good to spray prior to dis assembly.

Have you looked at the pads and rotors? Calipers? Shocks & Springs? I recommend a thorough inspection beforehand to see what else may need rapid attention. Got any records on any recent work performed prior to your purchase?

I was merely attempting to unbolt my starter, moved a fuel line from a clamp and ended up replacing the entire fuel line tubing from tank to fuel rail under the hood. Do not underestimate what you may encounter first time in there!!!!

Old 06-12-2011, 04:08 AM
Rock Crawling

If your hub seals are leaking, I can almost guarantee your going to be forced into replacing the bearings because they will probably be toast and fall apart when you take them off the Spindle. Take it from me who has replaced all eight bearings and all four spindles. DO YOUR SEALS AND BEARINGS ALL AT ONCE! Oh and F.Y.I. the seals are a pain in the A** to find in the metro area, Save time and order the parts you need online. Bearings and seals. Timken is your best bearings, If you dont get the seal online youll be forced to buy it from Land rover themselves.

Old 06-12-2011, 07:28 AM
Drifting

Hi Guys

Question in the Rave Manual it talks about a Dial Gauge and a bracket LRT-99-503 Do I need to use this item? I want to get everything lined out before I tackle this job. I will get my seals and bearings on-line. I will get the Hub Nut Spanner. Also I don't have any records on the Disco. The more I drive it the more I love it. I am not driving it till I get it fixed.

Thank You

Quick Reply: Wheel Hub