Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Why don't we order from abroad?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2014 | 07:33 PM
Camel Trophy

You may want to talk to Justin or Erik at Lucky8. They may be able to get a larger item tossed in their container when it comes over.

Old 07-08-2014 | 02:19 AM
|
Pro Wrench

Like a TF HD Rear bumper for a D1 would be 315GBP + 90GBP shipping which comes out to be somewhere near $693.80USD. That's still cheaper than our local suppliers base cost not including shipping?

Old 07-08-2014 | 09:14 AM
Baja

You sure the 90 shipping is for USA, I have looked before at stuff in UK for rover and they usually list desperate ship price to USA, expensive, otherwise I think that's a good deal

Old 07-08-2014 | 11:09 AM
TReK

Two things to keep in mind when it comes to large, expensive items like this. The manufacturer of Terra Firma products may have agreements with its sellers restricting where those sellers can and cannot ship Terra Firma product. If I were a licensed reseller of Terra Firma in the US I would be pretty upset if customers were able to pick up a product I had contracted to sell for them much cheaper through an overseas seller.

The other thing to keep in mind is you may still have duty to pay on any purchase you make from overseas. The amount of that duty may vary but I remember buying parts from RPI when I was rebuilding an engine. I paid for the parts, received them and then a week or so later received a bill from their broker for customs and processing fees.

When I ship smaller items to Canada I always recommend the USPS because they don't charge a brokers fee. When I have shipped to Canada by UPS or FedEx, on occasion I have had customers call me questions broker fees they were accessed after they had received the delivery.

Just a couple of things to consider and perhaps research if you're dead set on an international order.

Oh, and another thing that I believe was already mentioned but I'll reiterate, suppose that nice new bumper arrives with a nasty dent or twist in it. International shipping adds a whole new twist to returns.

Old 07-09-2014 | 08:16 PM
|
Pro Wrench

Look at these bumpers:

BRITPART
DA5604 - front bumper $660

DA5647 - rear bumper $305

Shipping is $180

So grand total shipped to me in MS would be $1145USD

The rear bumper saves a lot of money and it seems to be a sturdy and cosmetically appealing one. Plus it still functions well and has a good departure angle. I'm not pulling the trigger yet bc I'm leaving the country but most likely will when I get back. This is a quote from John Craddock. Check out their website and paddock spares. Seems pretty legit and I read the uk forums and the guys over the pond use them quite often.

Old 07-09-2014 | 10:19 PM
Recovery Vehicle

What about this bumper http://www.mudsport.co.uk/index.php/...ch-bumper.html
£222.76 in VAT. W/o VAT its £185.63 plus £67.32 shipping (per their checkout process). Total £252 .95 or a $434.

They also have a rear bumper http://www.mudsport.co.uk/index.php/...ar-bumper.html

Old 07-10-2014 | 04:13 AM
4wd Low

I ordered a genuine Saudi grill for my D1 from the UK years ago... cost me about $200 shipped.

Old 07-11-2014 | 11:44 PM
|
Pro Wrench

Yeah see that's a good find. Now let's figure out shipping! But those tight fit bumpers don't leave any room for brush guards to be installed. Real talk are brush guards even really needed? Most of the trails I've driven are on parks meant for trail riding so it's pretty well work down.

Old 07-12-2014 | 12:39 AM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by calebbo
Yeah see that's a good find. Now let's figure out shipping! But those tight fit bumpers don't leave any room for brush guards to be installed. Real talk are brush guards even really needed? Most of the trails I've driven are on parks meant for trail riding so it's pretty well work down.
I haven't ever had need for a brush gaurd. Lots of heavily wooded trails in northern Wisconsin and Michigan.

Old 03-14-2016 | 08:12 PM
Drifting

I ordered a Terra Firma front and rear spring and shock kit from England on a Monday, got it that Friday. Price including shipping and duty was less than $400 compared to almost $500 from stateside vendors.

Quick Reply: Why don't we order from abroad?