Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Window Channel Broken Seal Picture -- Need Replacement Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2014, 10:21 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Window Channel Broken Seal Picture -- Need Replacement Suggestions

Hi All, here is a picture of the window seal that needs replacing. I rolled down the window and looks like I got a good angle of the channel so you can see where the "felt" is broken off..

Any ideas of where I can get a replacement? This drives me nuts when driving long distances and listening to the wind coming in no matter how many paper napkins I put in there..

Attached Thumbnails Window Channel Broken Seal Picture -- Need Replacement Suggestions-carglassseal.jpg  
Old 12-05-2014, 05:56 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good luck with that. I thought mine has broken off and spent a good month searching for that stuff. It turned out that when someone had opened the window prior to me owning it, the felt had been pulled down into the door. A few good yanks pulled it back up and I glued it back together.

The following users liked this post:
colemtd (12-07-2014)
Old 12-07-2014, 11:11 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Britchick1980
Good luck with that. I thought mine has broken off and spent a good month searching for that stuff. It turned out that when someone had opened the window prior to me owning it, the felt had been pulled down into the door. A few good yanks pulled it back up and I glued it back together.
Thanks, I don't think I will be that lucky!

Old 12-08-2014, 01:59 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Channel Window Seal - Front (Genuine Part # MWC9602 ) - Land Rover door catches\window regulators from Atlantic British

Not cheap, but worth the money. A fair pain to replace, you have to pull the door card off to get at the bolts that hold the channel in the door.

I also replaced the regulator while I was in there, I might suggest the same for you.

Good luck

Old 12-08-2014, 03:39 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

I think your solution is right in front of you and you don't realize it yet:

What appears to have happened, based on the look of each end in the picture, is the window channel came apart at the corner and each respective side has slid down the channel. This is not uncommon in places where ice can adhere the glass to the channel and when ya go to lower the glass it pulls the seal apart. In other words, you should be able to remove your door panel, fish your arm inside the door and work both sides of the window channel seal upwards until they meet again at the corner.

Before you get them completely mated together, get some urethane caulk and put a dab an inch or so inside the channel before the corner on each side (to keep the weatherstrip from sliding downwards in the future), and a little daub on the broken ends when you DO get them mated together to connect them. Be sure the corner area is free of the caulk so it doesn't adhere to the window glass. If there genuinely IS a small piece of channel missing (which it appears there may be), apply some additional urethane caulk and loosely fit or hold a small piece of black fabric over the corner of the window and carefully close the glass with the fabric between the caulk and glass. The closing of the side glass will smoosh some urethane to 'mold' to the missing channel and the fabric will prevent the urethane from adhering to the glass. Once it has cured in a couple days, roll down the window and trim any excess black fabric accordingly. Urethane, while more expensive than Silicone, is a much better product and holds/seals better.

Ideally, you would put a daub of caulk on the lower side of the window channel inside the door which would do a better job of keeping the channel from pulling downwards in the future.

I've had this sort of thing happen on other vehicles. Let us know if that's the problem. Good luck!

Last edited by Mark G; 12-08-2014 at 04:00 PM.
Old 03-25-2022, 06:48 PM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello, I have begun doing this, beyond taking the card off I assume you removed the window? did you have to loosen or completely loosen the frame?