Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Window ECU plug question...

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 06:25 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Window ECU plug question...

I was going to re-solder the circuit board in the Window ECU ...Unlatched the glove box through the spring lever and let it hang.....then......tried all the techniques I could think of and still cannot unplug the top plug...ouch a few times....and gave up! I don't want to damage the wires and I know that it's suppose to be pressed on the right side ( which I did with my hand, pliers, pryed with screwdriver ) but still wouldn't budge!

Is there a better technique to unplug the dang top connector?

Best wishes
Erwin

Old 04-01-2011, 07:21 PM
Mudding
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I didn't even pull it, I simply used a jumper from the top left terminal to the top right (purple) terminal and have had no problems. Did this today.

Old 04-02-2011, 09:12 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

erwin, i did that job myself last summer and i know you dont want to hear it but i do think it's just a matter of persistence. It was quite a pain if i recall when i did it. I would also caution you when you solder it to make sure you keep the solder points as small and neat as possible. My job was a little messy and it looks like i'll be going back in soon as my rear windows are working only intermittently now

Old 04-02-2011, 10:54 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by sleepercoupe
I didn't even pull it, I simply used a jumper from the top left terminal to the top right (purple) terminal and have had no problems. Did this today.
Could you be a little more specific? What color was the top left you were referring to?

Thanks
Erwin

Old 04-02-2011, 03:35 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by roving patrol
Could you be a little more specific? What color was the top left you were referring to?

Thanks
Erwin
Ok, I don't have a paint diagram on my mac so bare with me, leave both plugs connected, the lower connector has 8 pins I believe with the top left (closest to windshield and driver side) being a white/pink tracer wire, (it was hard to see the pink tracer on mine), the top right (closest to windshield and passenger side) being a purple with a maroon/brown tracer, I just stripped a 3 inch piece of wire on both sides and stuck it from the back sides to both pins. All windows worked, no splicing of other wires. No problems at all. Mine is a 1996 Discovery SD

Old 04-02-2011, 04:00 PM
Mudding

Just took a picture for you, in almost the very center is a green wire that looks out of place, its just pushed in backside to those two (white/pink and purp/brown) wiresName:  DSCN0747.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  93.6 KB

Old 04-02-2011, 10:49 PM
Mudding

Thanks a bunch for taking the time to take the pic, Sleepercoupe...you rock!

Erwin

Old 04-03-2011, 02:54 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by sleepercoupe

Was not aware of that fix, but I want your 66 Ford man.

Old 04-06-2011, 06:04 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes it works, did it with a short piece of wire and the back windows work. Its the first time they have worked since i got it, i was a little let down with how little they open how ever.

Old 04-06-2011, 07:49 PM
Mudding

A simple fix and thanks to sleepercoupe...save the aggravation of removing the circuit board, etc.........

Quick Reply: Window ECU plug question...