Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Window ECU plug question...

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 11:36 AM
Mudding
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Glad it helps guys! I was a little bummed about the windows only dropping 40% too lol

Old 04-07-2011, 08:33 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Look at the way the door is shaped, it cannot go any further. Also keeps your kids from jumping out.

Old 04-08-2011, 11:01 AM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
Look at the way the door is shaped, it cannot go any further. Also keeps your kids from jumping out.
Why are your kids jumping out....? Mine love to go for rides.

Old 04-08-2011, 11:34 AM
Winching
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I think Danny's kids would use the rear windows to get IN ... Dukes Of Hazzard Style across the roof... if they went down all the way.

What's UP COOTER!!!!

Last edited by Cosmic88; 04-08-2011 at 11:39 AM.
Old 04-08-2011, 02:22 PM

My kids are 28 and 30. My seven grandkids from 3 to 8 are the ones who would be hanging out hooting and hollering.

When we went out one day, traffic was heavy, Daniel was driving, his son Sheldon yelled "Daddy, just get in the middle and go around all of them, you can make it. We were in downtown bumper to bumper heavy traffic at a major intersection and the light way up ahead was just turning green.

They love NASCAR. Sheldon yells "Hit the wall, hit the wall."

I make Daniel mad because I say, hurry up go straight ,quick turn left, ok turn left again, now straight again and a few seconds later, turn left again. he just looks at me with a scowl. I laugh and go watch Golf Channel, cause 500 miles of nothing but 4 left turns and two staightaways gets boring pretty quick.

Give me Seca Laguna anyday. I used to drive a 928GT as a daily driver. I left extra early for work and took all the back roads.

Old 04-08-2011, 02:27 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My kids are 28 and 30. My seven grandkids from 3 to 8 are the ones who would be hanging out hooting and hollering.

When we went out one day, traffic was heavy, Daniel was driving, his son Sheldon yelled "Daddy, just get in the middle and go around all of them, you can make it. We were in downtown bumper to bumper heavy traffic at a major intersection and the light way up ahead was just turning green.

They love NASCAR. Sheldon yells "Hit the wall, hit the wall."

I make Daniel mad because I say, hurry up go straight ,quick turn left, ok turn left again, now straight again and a few seconds later, turn left again. he just looks at me with a scowl. I laugh and go watch Golf Channel, cause 500 miles of nothing but 4 left turns and two staightaways gets boring pretty quick.

Give me Seca Laguna anyday. I used to drive a 928GT as a daily driver. I left extra early for work and took all the back roads.
DLD - You have just erased ANY question about your sig!!

That said - my kids love going for rides as well - but were bummed when the rear windows stopped working.
I re-flowed twice, and then just started looking for another ECU...however the "jumper" solution has them happy in the back again!

Old 04-08-2011, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by sleepercoupe
I didn't even pull it, I simply used a jumper from the top left terminal to the top right (purple) terminal and have had no problems. Did this today.

That may be acceptable as a temporary or emergency type fix, but as a permanent repair, I would consider that Totally LAME.

The reason I say that is not a personal attack on you but an assessment of the permanence or reliability of such a modification. Jamming a wire into the back of those connectors only gives you a friction fit at best. You have absolutely no positive mechanical or electrical connection. Therefore you have a very poor connection at best.

You are jumpering 12VDC. I don't know how much current is drawn thru the circuit, but at any time, hitting a bump or just repetitive vibration can result in a loose connection with possible arcing which could burn away part of the connection and even damage the connector if the plastic overheats.

All electrical connections should have a sound mechanical attachement. All you did was jam a larger piece of wire in there and you are counting on it to stay. In my opinion and vast background with avionics and various military vehicles, that would never fly. Am I being too harsh....maybe, but that does not meet my standards of acceptability and is poor advice to offer others as well.

Old 04-08-2011, 02:47 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That may be acceptable as a temporary or emergency type fix, but as a permanent repair, I would consider that Totally LAME.

The reason I say that is not a personal attack on you but an assessment of the permanence or reliability of such a modification. Jamming a wire into the back of those connectors only gives you a friction fit at best. You have absolutely no positive mechanical or electrical connection. Therefore you have a very poor connection at best.

You are jumpering 12VDC. I don't know how much current is drawn thru the circuit, but at any time, hitting a bump or just repetitive vibration can result in a loose connection with possible arcing which could burn away part of the connection and even damage the connector if the plastic overheats.

All electrical connections should have a sound mechanical attachement. All you did was jam a larger piece of wire in there and you are counting on it to stay. In my opinion and vast background with avionics and various military vehicles, that would never fly. Am I being too harsh....maybe, but that does not meet my standards of acceptability and is poor advice to offer others as well.
Danny - were this provided as a solution for the targeting mechanism of a Cruise Missile - I would agree.
However, as a temporary solution for the SHODDY lucas ECU, this is perfectly viable - and easy (a lot easier than the solder re-flow) and excellent from a troubleshooting perspective.

Perfect - no. However, it has brought back some joy for my kids until I get the new ECU - ASSUMING I can find it....

Old 04-08-2011, 02:52 PM

Not all rednecks are NASCAR ADDICTS. But Dukes of Hazard is pretty much my life story. Dad was a Moonshiner in his youth. We did go to Nascar races at Atlanta International Raceway. Back when they were racing the same cars that the general public could buy in the showroom.

I saw Davy and Donnie Allison throwing punches in the infield with Cale Yarborough while Richard Petty held of Darrel Waltrip for the win, Daytona 1979.
That was real racing. http://www.racinghistory.info/NASCAR...The-Fight.html

Today it is all corporate backing. They don't make a Plymouth Hemi any more. Toyota don't deserve to be in NASCAR.

Last edited by Danny Lee 97 Disco; 04-08-2011 at 03:02 PM.
Old 04-08-2011, 02:53 PM

Well then use a paper clip, at least it will provide spring tension.

They also work on the brake pedal switch if it screws up and leaves you stranded at the mall and you cannot shift out of park.

So add a few paper clips to your onboard repair kit and you will be better prepared for a known LR weakness.

Quick Reply: Window ECU plug question...