Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Window ECU plug question...

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 02:54 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
Well then use a paper clip, at least it will provide spring tension.
LMAO - Then you will LOVE the fact that a paperclip is EXACTLY what is in mine!

Old 04-08-2011, 02:57 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Damn, I must be psychic or phychic or phychiatric or psychedellic maybe.

Old 04-08-2011, 02:59 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by danny lee 97 disco
damn, i must be psychic or phychic or phychiatric or psychedellic maybe.
agreed!

Old 04-08-2011, 03:33 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That may be acceptable as a temporary or emergency type fix, but as a permanent repair, I would consider that Totally LAME.

The reason I say that is not a personal attack on you but an assessment of the permanence or reliability of such a modification. Jamming a wire into the back of those connectors only gives you a friction fit at best. You have absolutely no positive mechanical or electrical connection. Therefore you have a very poor connection at best.

You are jumpering 12VDC. I don't know how much current is drawn thru the circuit, but at any time, hitting a bump or just repetitive vibration can result in a loose connection with possible arcing which could burn away part of the connection and even damage the connector if the plastic overheats.

All electrical connections should have a sound mechanical attachement. All you did was jam a larger piece of wire in there and you are counting on it to stay. In my opinion and vast background with avionics and various military vehicles, that would never fly. Am I being too harsh....maybe, but that does not meet my standards of acceptability and is poor advice to offer others as well.
No offense intended but I would have to disagree. Re-soldering the circuit board is not a permanent fix either. They'd eventually wear off too. With sleepercoupe's technique, you could either leave it as it is or you could do a little bit of addition to make the hold stronger. What I did with mine after the wire tripping is I added an electrical tape to hold them in place. My anti-vibration tool if I may say.

Old 04-08-2011, 03:42 PM

Still a lame fix to a lame fix. What makes you think solder wears off? Solder does not "Wear" there is no mechanisn for what you claim. If there is please provide it.

A solder joint may fracture from vibration which is a physical wear mechanism. Cyclic movement at a small magnitude.

Unless you have some sort of force acting on the solder joint, there is nothing to wear from age or such. It will not readily deteriorate. It will melt if you reach melting temp, but other than a substandard joint to begin with or vibration, what would you have that would cause the solder to wear?

Old 04-08-2011, 03:43 PM

Besides, everyone knows duct tape is far superior to electrical tape.

Old 04-08-2011, 04:14 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That may be acceptable as a temporary or emergency type fix, but as a permanent repair, I would consider that Totally LAME.

The reason I say that is not a personal attack on you but an assessment of the permanence or reliability of such a modification. Jamming a wire into the back of those connectors only gives you a friction fit at best. You have absolutely no positive mechanical or electrical connection. Therefore you have a very poor connection at best.

You are jumpering 12VDC. I don't know how much current is drawn thru the circuit, but at any time, hitting a bump or just repetitive vibration can result in a loose connection with possible arcing which could burn away part of the connection and even damage the connector if the plastic overheats.

All electrical connections should have a sound mechanical attachement. All you did was jam a larger piece of wire in there and you are counting on it to stay. In my opinion and vast background with avionics and various military vehicles, that would never fly. Am I being too harsh....maybe, but that does not meet my standards of acceptability and is poor advice to offer others as well.
Still a lame fix to a lame fix. What makes you think solder wears off? Solder does not "Wear" there is no mechanisn for what you claim. If there is please provide it.

A solder joint may fracture from vibration which is a physical wear mechanism. Cyclic movement at a small magnitude.

Unless you have some sort of force acting on the solder joint, there is nothing to wear from age or such. It will not readily deteriorate. It will melt if you reach melting temp, but other than a substandard joint to begin with or vibration, what would you have that would cause the solder to wear?
Let me reiterate. They don't wear but they crack. And yes, duct tape is stronger but the only available tape I have is an electrical tape. Another plus is the time you save.

Old 04-10-2011, 08:24 PM
Mudding
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Lol, while all of that may sound like it could happen the chances are so slim its not worth mentioning. With my experience as a Wheeled Vehicle mechanic in Baghdad this would not be a fix of course. If it was on a plane this would not be a fix. But worst case the wire falls out or a fuse pops and *gasp* the rear windows stop working!!! Lol, come on now I'll let you know in a few years how my wire is holding up

Old 04-10-2011, 08:25 PM
Mudding
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by groundandpound
Danny - were this provided as a solution for the targeting mechanism of a Cruise Missile - I would agree.
However, as a temporary solution for the SHODDY lucas ECU, this is perfectly viable - and easy (a lot easier than the solder re-flow) and excellent from a troubleshooting perspective.

Perfect - no. However, it has brought back some joy for my kids until I get the new ECU - ASSUMING I can find it....
Oopp someone already got it

Old 04-11-2011, 12:37 AM

I agree from a criticality viewpoint, the worst that can happen is the window fails again. No Biggie. Just use a paper clip next time. In the meantime enjoy it.

Quick Reply: Window ECU plug question...