Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Window felt/seal replacement. Driver and Passenger front doors.

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2017, 11:30 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts
Default Window felt/seal replacement. Driver and Passenger front doors.

Anyone done this before? RAVE wants me to pull the window frame, along with the glass. Can I just remove the frame, leaving the glass in place, attached to the regulator?

Also, does the replacement window felt/seal just push into place or is it supposed to be secured by an adhesive?

The ones on my SD are pretty chewed up and beyond saving. I'd ideally like to complete the job without pulling everything apart

Old 03-11-2017, 02:54 PM
TReK
Received 652 Likes on 559 Posts

You will need to remove the window frame and glass to replace the seal. The seal goes down the window frame well past the door card (see pic). I use a thin bead of Permatex RTV Adhesive Sealant (comes clear or black) to keep the seal in place.

Old 03-11-2017, 03:23 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

Thanks for the reply!
i know I have to take the frame out, I was hoping that I could leave the glass in place and just remove the frame.

Old 03-11-2017, 03:48 PM
TReK
Received 652 Likes on 559 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert Booth
Thanks for the reply!
i know I have to take the frame out, I was hoping that I could leave the glass in place and just remove the frame.
I get what you want to do but I've just never done it. I don't even think I considered it being it's just not that much effort to pull the window regulator with the glass taped to the frame. I do know that even with the glass taped to the frame the bottom of the frame rails flex inward like crazy. I would think trying to get the frame over the glass while attached to the regulator would be a PITA, if at all possible.

If you decide to leave the glass attached to the reg please post the outcome. Good Luck!

> Last thought, CHECK the Window Lift Channel (#ALR8022) for rust! I would be very careful trying to remove the frame with the glass and reg attached if the Window Lift Channel is rusted. Remember the only thing holding the glass to the channel is the glazing rubber and pressure. I've seen Lift Channels look fine on the inside facing edge, but the outside is toast from rust. Just replaced a Lift Channel on a '95 RRC for this reason.

Last edited by OverRover; 03-11-2017 at 04:22 PM.
Old 03-12-2017, 12:31 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 116 Likes on 101 Posts

My pass side window would always make a clunk noise when opening the window. Then it wouldn't close so I shut it with a jumper wires ans disconnected it. I added a short piece of the gasket in the channel that was damaged and just patched it in the upper rear corner instead of replacing the whole thing. It had always leaked air and that made it better.

I am wondering if the channel that is attached to the glass is bad causing the noise. I may have to work on it once it gets warmer outside. I think the window not closing is the computer board under the dash. Already fixed it once (re-soldered the connections) and I suspect it will need that again.