Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Window regulator??

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2014, 12:07 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Window regulator??

Mt driver's side window has been popping when I start putting it down for over a year now, and looked like it was coming off track when it was down about an inch, but have always been able to raise it till it straightened out and then it worked fine. well I was at the bank yesterday & it popped like always, and when I tried to put it up, it went up about half way, stalled for a second & then I heard what sounded like a metal bar fall to the bottom inside of the door. I was quick enough to catch the window which was slowly disappearing into the into the door, and have it taped up as it won't stay up any longer. I looked at the RAVE but didn't see anything that looked like a bar associated with the window regulator. I can heat the motor running when I push the button, but nothing else mechanical. Haven't tore into it as it's snowing, but has anyone had a similar issue who can send me in the right direction?

Old 02-02-2014, 12:48 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 401 Likes on 385 Posts

Toothed segment that is attached to the regulator mech probably popped it's spot welds finally......happened to me. I bolted mine back on (cuz I'm handy) but you'll be needing a new window regulator assembly.

Old 02-02-2014, 12:49 PM
Camel Trophy

Aint owning a Rover fun!

Old 02-02-2014, 02:26 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by ihscouts
Toothed segment that is attached to the regulator mech probably popped it's spot welds finally......happened to me. I bolted mine back on (cuz I'm handy) but you'll be needing a new window regulator assembly.

I noticed many of the window regulator pictures from the British parts suppliers showed (2) metal bars with the regulators & was just hoping one of them came loose. Will order a new regulator & might as well add the motor as long as I'm in there.

Yep, owning a Disco is great! Just wish I could go more than a week without something falling off of it. The good thing is; with all of the parts I've already replaced, it's almost new again

Old 02-02-2014, 02:56 PM
Baja
Received 721 Likes on 626 Posts

Sounds like the plastic wheels broke and one if the bars came loose and fell. But you should open the door panel before you start ordering every possible part in the door.

Old 02-02-2014, 06:19 PM
Camel Trophy

Uh I still would grab a regulator. Drivers window at 165k is past ready for a replacement......not a bad investment......future proofing. Abran I understand your logic but Wrongway1 has had one heck of history with his truck. I'd forego the motor and get two new 02's instead......just saying.

Old 02-02-2014, 06:41 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by ihscouts
Uh I still would grab a regulator. Drivers window at 165k is past ready for a replacement......not a bad investment......future proofing. Abran I understand your logic but Wrongway1 has had one heck of history with his truck. I'd forego the motor and get two new 02's instead......just saying.
Heck of a history sounds really bad!! My logic was in line with yours. If I need to (or should) replace the regulator, the motor & gear would be right around the corner of needing replaced.

Old 02-02-2014, 07:15 PM
Baja
Received 721 Likes on 626 Posts

yeah, I'm guessing regulator. I have some used ones and a used motor if you are interested...

Old 02-02-2014, 07:35 PM
Baja
Received 227 Likes on 197 Posts

Mine popped a lot it just needed a new bushing, take it apart and look or if up leave it up till warm weather

There are several ways to replace the bushings for a few $ , use a panel pop tool to remove panel careful cause panel is foam and easy to break off the plastic retainers that hold to the door

Old 02-03-2014, 12:11 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

X2 on the toothed crescent part popping spot welds and dropping. I would bet $$ that the motor is fine also. Mine made horrible popping noises for a long time before the crescent dropped off and to my surprise the gear on the motor was in great shape when I pulled the door apart to fix it.

Do your future self a favor and replace the felt gasket in the window track instead of the motor. The window will slide smoother and put less stress on the regulator, saving you from doing this again in a year. A small word of caution when fixing; the little metal bit that holds the rubber triangle thingy that keeps the window in the track is wicked sharp, my dumb a$$ needed stitches but ever since my health plan got gutted & my doctor friend clued me in a clean cut gets crazy glued back together n good to go. Best to avoid that mess altogether.

Quick Reply: Window regulator??