Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

At wits end : Washed motor now it wont start

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 09:56 AM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default At wits end : Washed motor now it wont start

This is a geniune plea for help out of desperation. Please take the time to read it and if anybody got any clues or had anything similar please help me out.

Its too long to get into now so I will just link the thread I put on D-web and Aulro. I'll put this on as many Landy forums as I can think of. Hope the admin don't mind

Any inputs welcome and thanks in advance.

washed motor now no start - Australian Land Rover Owners

In a nut shell slightly sprinkled the motor with water now it wont start. Have fuel and spark

Thanks

Old 04-15-2011, 11:12 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this wont help you but WHY THE H E L L DO PEOPLE INSIST ON SPRAYING THEIR MOTORS WITH WATER????????. I just dont get this!!!. I drive by do it yourself carwash places all the time and see people with hoods up spraying high powered water all on their motors. REALLY people?????. Please just wipe your motor down if its really that important to you to have a sparkly motor(I dont get this either).

Anyway, sounds to me like you got moisture in a sensor or something. Take your plug wires off, check for moisture in plug boots etc etc. WD-40 does well at removing moisture from electricals. Not sure what to tell you except STOP SPRAYING YOUR MOTOR WITH WATER.

Last edited by AKdisco; 04-15-2011 at 11:14 AM.
Old 04-15-2011, 11:14 AM
Rock Crawling

I would suspect that you have water in your ECM. Open it up, dry it out - and fire it up.

Old 04-15-2011, 11:14 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I simply sprayed off the underside of my Disco at a car wash to clean off some dirt and mud and it wouldn't idle without stalling for like 5 days. Keep water well away from your engine bay if at all possible.

Old 04-15-2011, 11:19 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by desertdude
This is a geniune plea for help out of desperation. Please take the time to read it and if anybody got any clues or had anything similar please help me out.

Its too long to get into now so I will just link the thread I put on D-web and Aulro. I'll put this on as many Landy forums as I can think of. Hope the admin don't mind

In a nut shell slightly sprinkled the motor with water now it wont start. Have fuel and spark

Thanks
So - after reading this, I have to ask - have you checked the obvious? You have not left it in gear etc...?

Old 04-15-2011, 12:39 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by desertdude

Thanks
Do you have a cap and rotor? Did you get water inside the cap?

It is ridiculous to not spray your motor with water. If done properly it is fine. I work at a dealer and this is total common practice. I have cleaned my LR engine 5 times in the past 2 years. Generally so I can get a good look at where something is leaking from so I can fix it. A plastic bag over the distributor cap keeps her dry. She has fired right up every time.

Old 04-15-2011, 01:10 PM
4wd Low

So if you cant get your motor wet how do these people submerge them when using snorkels?

Old 04-15-2011, 01:19 PM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its called waterproofing. Its very time consuming to do it but well worth it

I've done it and I can go through water..wash my engine whatever.

I waterproofed my ECU, all my connectors been waterproof eletrical taped then those connectors got sprayed with rubberized undercoating

My sparkplugs wires on both ends have de-electric jelly on them.

Old 04-15-2011, 01:25 PM
Drifting

Conviced a friend to make the long journey to my place on his day off, who is a mechanic and has worked on landies a bit, but it has been some time since he touched a 14CUX. Anyways we started fiddling about. First there was spark then there was no spark then there was weak spark. So he jumpered the positive side of the coil with a long wire to the battery and the lights in the dash came on as if the switch was on. Then I cranked it, nothing happened.

Tried this a couple a times nothing happened then checked at the leads, no to weak spark. The jumped the coil again and cranked it again at it came to life !!!!

YEAAAH !!!!!

Let it run for a while to evapourate if there was any moisture left then switched if off tidied up the mess a bit neatly secured all the wires and then started again and it went right up again !

So niether he nor I know what was actually wrong ? But all I know is it works now. Basically jump started the coil. Maybe there was some moisture in the connection from the battery to the coil who knows ?

Thanks everyone for their input and time.

Cheers

The following users liked this post:
DiscoAzul (01-06-2023)
Old 04-15-2011, 01:30 PM
Drifting

Also normally I would get on all those santimonious replies instead of trying to work out a problem waving your fingers and I told so's But right now I poofed and just happy it working again.

Obviously many didn't read the orginal post on the other site because if you would have read it, I just sprayed a little water mist from a hand operated sprayer and not power washed as some assume. You'd think a car with legendary water wading abilities could handle a little mist.

Obviously something was loose or about to conk out and that spray just did it in. Anywhoo alls well that ends well

Cheers

Quick Reply: At wits end : Washed motor now it wont start