Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Work has started, Om617 into 95 Rover.

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 09:41 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please keep us abreast, particularly about the flywheel/clutch arrangement.

Old 07-11-2013, 01:50 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 246 Likes on 231 Posts

Just bumping this one... I am intensely interested int he outcome. I have the MB 300CD (in good shape), the 2000 Disco II (good shape) in my driveway!!!! I want to ruin one of them, but not both. Haha

Old 07-20-2013, 11:23 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ngarover
THought I forgot or given up on this project eh? NOPE! I've just been busy working and fixing up some of my other cars. The plan is to start on the rover again in 3-4 weeks. Hope to have it in a running and driving condition in 6, then will be the process of cleaning it all up and putting it all back together.

I am doing this exact swap. I also have a 95 with r380 manual and I am trying to source an OM617 engine. My LR engine is running strong but loves gas. I will follow this thread with great anticipation particularly the part of the aluminum adapter plate. Once it is made, maybe you can post the dimensions or a pdf with the hole patern for template.

I found nylon square plate that is obviously not as rigid as aluminum however it is more economical and is suitable for a spacer at the 3/4 thickness you state in your initial announcement of taking the conversion on.

Jarek M has inspired me to do this build. It makes sense. I just got a stick welder today for 55.00 for the motor mount issue and I have to fabricate mounts for my brush guard...

Old 07-22-2013, 08:48 AM
Camel Trophy

Jarek disappears. I've followed all of his stuff. It is frustrating. The adapter plate can be made by a shop if you deliver your om617 and transmission. That works if you have one local. You can also make one or have one made by ordering the aluminum and tracing a pattern then using a punch to locate the holes, then tap them or simply clamp everything together and drill the holes. Honestly, the adapter plate is the only thing that has kept me from doing the project, though there are much harder parts (for me, anyway, such as figuring out how to make all of the electrical stuff work).

Hope for an adapter solution has kept my 300cd off the auction sites.

Old 07-23-2013, 08:11 AM
Mudding

the aluminum plate raw without cutting is over 300.00 from online suppliers. Does anyone have any input on using NYLON plate?

Old 07-24-2013, 11:11 AM
Mudding

does the vacuum pump head have two ports or just one? the pump with two ports on it. two black hoses one to break boost and one comes up about a foot and is broke with no destination. I saw somewhere that that pump welded shut drilled and rehosed to break boost.

chech out my thread https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...version-60651/

Old 07-24-2013, 11:48 AM
Camel Trophy

Are you making your own adapter or do you have someone doing it for you? And how will that be done?

Old 07-24-2013, 10:45 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And please give more details about your solution for the flywheel/clutch.

Old 07-25-2013, 02:35 PM
Winching
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Since starting new hours at work I have not had a lot of time to even look at the truck. Plus I may have just bought back my white one. (the one I did all the work too in my sig) Head gaskets went on it plus power steering pump and a quick lube place stripped out the oil pan bolt, (of course). So I offered to buy it back and fix.

But as to my conversion, I'm making my own adapter out of aluminum. as to the flywheel clutch, I took the clutch in and had it redone as heavy duty as they could... the flywheel is the stock rover, re-milled to fit the om617 bolt pattern along with some other custom stuff to make it it all work together. That stuff I can't share as per the wishes of the builder who I'm working with as he would like to test it first.

Old 07-26-2013, 05:56 PM
Camel Trophy

How are you making the adapter?

Quick Reply: Work has started, Om617 into 95 Rover.