Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Would like to turn discovery into an off road machine

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 09:11 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by antichrist
Well, it really depends the type of areas you off-road.
If I were you I'd fit a winch, get some recovery gear and take it out otherwise stock to places the want to go and see how it does. Then you'll know what you need to do.
What he said.
You will be amazed at what they truck can do with nothing more than a good set of rubber and driver skill.

Old 05-22-2011, 09:35 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is what I had originally had planned but I need new tires. I figured I mind as well upgrade instead of buying two sets of tires within a short while.

The badlands in IN and the cliffs insane terrain in IL are the off road parks I visit most. Every once in awhile I go the the silver lake sand dues in MI. I would really like to go to Moab.

I had always planned one going to Moab with m jeeps but they are so uncomfortable on long drives. The discovery should be a huge difference. Especially with ac.

Old 05-22-2011, 10:02 AM
Mudding

Speaking of tires I am stuck on those as well. I've been leaning towards the guard dogs mts. I've used bf goodrich mts and super swampers before. I was not a fan of the bf goodrich on the trails. The super swampers were amazing but wore quick.

Super swampers are more than likely out of the question unless I go with 33's. The on thing I really do not want to do is go bigger then needed.

Last edited by rover11; 05-22-2011 at 10:08 AM.
Old 05-22-2011, 11:03 AM
Winching

The best compromise if you don't want to buy two sets in a short period of time because you'll start to modify later would be an A/T tire. You can go 245/75/R16 or 235/85/R16, they fit without a lift and they will not look too small if you lift the truck.

One of the best IMO is the BF All-Terrain. It does well in the trails, not too noisy on the road and does not wear within 20k.

If I remember well Spike has Cooper Discoverers S/T and likes them.

Old 05-22-2011, 11:14 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Jull
The best compromise if you don't want to buy two sets in a short period of time because you'll start to modify later would be an A/T tire. You can go 245/75/R16 or 235/85/R16, they fit without a lift and they will not look too small if you lift the truck.

One of the best IMO is the BF All-Terrain. It does well in the trails, not too noisy on the road and does not wear within 20k.

If I remember well Spike has Cooper Discoverers S/T and likes them.
I am not a huge fan of bf goodrich and since it's it wil primarily be used for off roaring I'd rather stick with a mt. Everyone I have gone wheeling with that has used a at tire has quickly switched to a mt.

Old 05-22-2011, 11:33 AM
Team Owner

A m/t will suck in the snow and ice and rain.
The Cooper S/T is a cross between a a/t and a m/t.
I have them on my truck and they are just now starting to show wear after almost 30k, if I rotated them they would not be showing the wear that they do.
I HATE the BFG a/t with a passion, I have ran them on my work van and I would get stuck if I even looked at a slight incline that had snow or ice on it.
I would just spin.
The S/T's just dig in and bite and away you go.
They also hold up to abuse really really well.
If I got stuck I would just spin them up to 30mph and hold there until they got hot and melted the ice and got traction.
Then if I got stuck again I'd just do ti again.
The BFG's would actually melt if I did that, they only lasted a month or so, the S/T's almost 5 months. (I'm a FedEx driver in West MI if that gives you a idea about the snow we get)
Go to Coopers web site and check them out, I think you'll like them.

Old 05-22-2011, 11:59 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Spike555
A m/t will suck in the snow and ice and rain.
The Cooper S/T is a cross between a a/t and a m/t.
I have them on my truck and they are just now starting to show wear after almost 30k, if I rotated them they would not be showing the wear that they do.
I HATE the BFG a/t with a passion, I have ran them on my work van and I would get stuck if I even looked at a slight incline that had snow or ice on it.
I would just spin.
The S/T's just dig in and bite and away you go.
They also hold up to abuse really really well.
If I got stuck I would just spin them up to 30mph and hold there until they got hot and melted the ice and got traction.
Then if I got stuck again I'd just do ti again.
The BFG's would actually melt if I did that, they only lasted a month or so, the S/T's almost 5 months. (I'm a FedEx driver in West MI if that gives you a idea about the snow we get)
Go to Coopers web site and check them out, I think you'll like them.
Really? I have never had a problem with mts in the winters. Do the s/ts see the trails often?

Old 05-22-2011, 01:06 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have not liked BFGs for a number of years and have found the BFG AT one of the worst tires ever....especially if you have winter weather.

Having said that I have completely switched to the New BFG KM2 for my fleet vehicles. my crews run out in the deserts of NV for the entire work week. I now have 8 sets out of 20ish the BFG km2, the remaining will get switched to km2 when their tires get shredded. I'm lucky if a set of tires last 2 years. i run both 265/75 and 285/75 r16. they are tough and stick well...even in wintery weather where the sun melts a snotty top layer of clay on frozen ground. after seeing how they perform on my work trucks i will be buying a set for my LR. the 265s still have the "small" lugs and the 285shave the "large" lugs.

I also have a set of GuardDogs I am testing on 1 truck. they have been performing well, but have only had them for 2-3 weeks now. one thing about them....they are very heavy compared to "real tires" and they run almost 1/2" larger in diameter than "real tires" in certain sizes.

advntrjnky

Last edited by advntrjnky; 05-22-2011 at 01:10 PM.
Old 05-22-2011, 01:20 PM
Mudding

So would medium springs the way to go?

Old 05-22-2011, 03:03 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by rover11
Really? I have never had a problem with mts in the winters. Do the s/ts see the trails often?
Yes, as often as I can.
Deep sand, wet grass, deep snow, not much mud though, I'm not into mud slinging.
Work was cancelled the day after the blizzard this year and I went out and played in the deep snow, I even pulled a LR4 out of a snow bank.

This parking lot had not been plowed, the snow was no less than 24" deep.
I was the first person to drive though it.

YouTube - ‪Blizzard 2011‬‏

This is under the truck after I drove out of it.

Name:  DSC06612.jpg
Views: 586
Size:  66.8 KB

Quick Reply: Would like to turn discovery into an off road machine