Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

WTH LR Stealership?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 03:02 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default WTH LR Stealership?

So I called the local LR dealership in Memphis asking about the recalls. Gave them my vin and he said it needed the gas tank recall work done. The guy said last time it was in a dealership was '98 and the work SHOULD have been done. Then I asked if the tank work was free, he said it was. BUT he also said that the fuel lines would probably break upon removal and that was not covered in the recall. Now, if I take it to the dealership will they intentionally break my lines so I have to give them some dough? Why the heck should I pay for it when it was recalled? If they break it they repair it right? I mean it was their mistake in the first place. Sorry I take it in now 16 years later but I mean it was in a dealership in '98 and it's on their record where it should have been done. Sorry rant over just pissed at having to spend money maybe.

Old 11-23-2011, 06:36 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know the recall work you are referring to and I would jump on that offer. Replacing the fuel hose is a PITD.

The fuel filler hose and especially the breather hose dry up and split/break over time. What he is telling you is the truth..... If he starts tugging on them, they might break.....

If it were me, I would go by all new fuel lines from one of the many vendors, like rovahfarm, throw them in the back of the truck hot-foot right over there.

Old 11-23-2011, 08:03 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

One poster was quoted one or two thousand for the work you describe by the dealer... ask first. Assume anything that has been fixed in place, not metal, when moved, will crack. The older things are, the less flexible they become. Kinda like politicians...

see https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...ht=tank+recall for another dealer experience with fuel tank recall

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 11-23-2011 at 08:06 AM.
Old 11-23-2011, 08:33 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

What are all the fuel lines? I'm checking rovah farm now.

Old 11-23-2011, 08:41 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

What pissed me off on my '95 is they wouldn't just let me take my tank off, bring it in and trade it for a new one and do the work myself. So I haven't had it done.

Old 11-23-2011, 09:26 AM
Administrator
Received 101 Likes on 83 Posts

You might want to call a local Rover zone office or customer service and ask if all parts are covered in the process of the replacement. I have known a number of people that had other related parts, to the tank replacement, replace also under the recall.

Old 11-23-2011, 10:35 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My metal lines were like swiss cheese. And those cost a lot and are a real pain if you stick with the factory original lines. I used a 25 foot coil of 5/16 fuel line, formed them myselves with a different routing and relocated the fuel filter as it was totally corroded and sprung a leak in it. It was horrible when I bought it.

Top of the fuel pump was cracked around where the tubes enter thye head, so it was shot. Those connectors on most were push to release but now look like they were on the Titanic. If you have not looked at the top of your fuel pump, you should pull the plate and take a close look at what you got.

The rubber vent lines and fill tube you can expect to be dry rotted as well. I would be surprised if they cover them, but do what Mike said to see what the higher ups say.

Old 11-23-2011, 11:05 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want to spend like less than $20... Just go to an auto zone. Get 2' of 3/4" for the breather hose. I have no idea what size the filler hose is. Check the O/D with some calipers. May as well throw in some new hose clamps as well.

Savanah is right. There may be other breakable parts. From your post, It sounds like they are only worried about "fuel lines." They could be referring to the ones at the fuel pump. I cant see those being too much of an issue. But you never know...

Best thing to do is call back and get them to tell you IN WRITING what they will cover and what they will not. They may not want to use your AutoZone parts either. They may not even want you to use your OEM or Factory parts either. It depends on the dealership.... They may want you to buy the parts from them.

Recall work is tricky business.... Basically, the dealer does the work and submits it to the factory for reimbursement. There are contracts and SLA's involved. Some recall work is better than others. Sometimes the dealer get stiffed. I had an HD dealer try to bill me 3 weeks after they replaced head gaskets.... They even tried to take me to court.... Long story short... I had it in writing and I didnt pay a dime.

Old 11-23-2011, 11:37 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I cant see those being too much of an issue. But you never know...

Have you looked at many? Since hte elements get to them from underneath, they do tend to corrode badly. Best to pull your cover and see what yours look like.

I would be surprised if the dealership would install any parts that did not come from them.

Old 11-23-2011, 02:50 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When I took mine in they said the same thing, I had taken the carpet and cover off and soaked the lines with pb blaster and also the tank strap bolts a day before hand, so they wouldn't have any issues. But I live in the south where rust isn't nearly as bad.

Quick Reply: WTH LR Stealership?