Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Update] HELP!!! M&S light had blinked, now it won't start!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 11:22 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default [Update] HELP!!! M&S light had blinked, now it won't start!!!

Last night, I was getting off the highway and while slowing down to the stoplight, I hear two clunks, I watched the RPM's shoot down to 0 and then back up, twice. Right after the M&S lights started blinking. When I got to the stop, it wouldn't move. I turned it off, turned it back on, and it was fine. I went and got gas, filled the tires with air everything.

This morning, it wouldn't start. It sounds like it's gunna turn over, but it just cranks, but no turn over.

AHHH!!!! The Disco gods HATE me!!! I swear to the Lord JC that I've got a lemon.[/align]

Old 09-28-2008, 12:13 AM
Rock Crawling
Default RE: HELP!!! M&S light had blinked, now it won't start!!!

Driving it after the light is blinking is only aggravating the problem.

DO NOT DRIVE THE ROVER AGAIN until you get this sorted out. The light was blinking because the ECU detected something potentially catastrophic, like a misfire condition. Have the engine scanned with an OBD scanner and look up what the codes mean. Also, check the important fluids like coolant and oil.

Was the car overheating at all?

Cheers,

Pete

Old 09-28-2008, 12:23 AM
Mudding

Well, I won't be driving it anytime soon because it won't start.. haha, but thanks!

The SES light isn't on, so how could the OBD scanner find anything?

What does the M&S light blinking mean?

Coolant seems fine, but I will check the oil. I haven;t changed it on about 3-4 thousand miles, but I use the Mobil 1 Synthetic. No overheating either.

Thanks so much for a reply!!!!

John-Robert

Old 09-28-2008, 02:42 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The M & S lights (manual and sports) refer to a fault detected with the auto gearbox ECU.

Several things can cause this. First of all a low voltage in the battery at start up can do it.

It can also be caused by inadvertenly pushing one of the remote buttons on the key whilst starting the car.

And obviously an actual fault in the gearbox itself. The fact you heard a "clunk" makes me think that the torque converter dropped out incorrectly and the ECU detected it. This could be down to something "physically" broken in the gearbox, or just a random spurios action.

To be 100% sure, you need the fault codes read from the ECU. Fortunateley the ECU on the gearbox overwrites stored fault messages if it detects several "good" operations. This helps if it is just a random spurios message.

The lights can also be caused by incorrect signals recieved from the gear selector lever.

Are the lights still on when you switch the ignition on ?

If so, turn off the ignition, move the selector lever back and forth through the gear positions, then switch on the ignition an do the same and also push the sport mode button a few times. obviously it wont let you start unless your in P or N, if this fixes it and allows you to start the M & S lights will still flash for 2 or 3 secs once started and then should extuinguish if the ECU decides all is good.
If you do get it going, I would def get the gearbox oil level checked.

If nothing of the above works, then its a trip to the dealer im afraid to get the codes read.

Old 09-28-2008, 10:06 AM
Rock Crawling

You could try disconnecting the battery for a few seconds. This might reset the computers and let you start it up. It seems that Urban Panzer is the resident transmission guru.

Cheers,

Pete

Old 09-28-2008, 10:59 AM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: HELP!!! M&S light had blinked, now it won'

Disconnecting the battery may or amy not do anything at all, it might also erase any stored codes that might lead us to the true solution.

There are many casues for this condition. Urban Panzer has addressed one of the common causes, another is water ingress to the wiring harness to the transmission. Misalignment of the gearbox selector switch is also very common on DIIs. If the P light does not always illuminate whent he truck is placed in park position, it is indicative of either misalignment or impending failure of this switch. If slapping the shifter forward resolves it, this is further support for a switch problem.

An OBD scanner will show you little if anything on this problem as transmission problems require a dedicated Rover-specific diagnsotic tool such as a Rovacom (lite) Autologic, T4, Super Scan, etc. Generic code scanners are only useful for engine problems and some of them aren't very good for that. If I have one more person tell me their truck needs an EGR valve, I'm gonna sell them one and ask them just where they think I should put it!

Old 09-28-2008, 12:20 PM
Mudding

Urban- the M&S light didn't happen when i started it up... it was when I was coming to a stop from the highway. so how could it be a low voltage issue?

The truck is gunna have to be towed to the shop because, like I said, it won't start. It cranks like it wants to start, but never actually turns over.

Are the two issues, the M&S light and the no-starting intertwined?

When i take it to the shop, what do I tell them to do because they are a bunch of incompetent fools, but they are the only place that fixes LR's in a 300 mile radius.

Thanks everyone for input!! I really really appreciate your help!!!!

Old 09-28-2008, 01:08 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I understand that thelights cameon whilst driving, was giving more info than was needed.....sorry about that.....

Are the M&S lights still illuminated ??

When you take it to a shop, as already stated if they dont have specific Land Rover Diagnostics, then you need to take somewhere that does. They need to first read the fault codes (if any) in the gearbox ECU.

Its possible that the 2 are not related and its just coincidence.

Do you here the fuel pump run when you switch on the ignition ? if not check all fuses etc, could be a simple as that

Have you locked and unlocked the car with the remote just to make sure the immobiliser has not activated.

Old 09-28-2008, 01:37 PM
Mudding

No no, you're fine Urban! :]

Just making sure.. I really appreciate your info!!

Go here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vC09EGeVSfw

you might be able to understand what I'm talking about better.

Old 09-28-2008, 02:03 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Your not getting any fuel.

Quick Reply: [Update] HELP!!! M&S light had blinked, now it won't start!!!