Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

00 Disco 2 stuck in low / Loose gear shifter

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 02:45 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 00 Disco 2 stuck in low / Loose gear shifter

2000 Disco 2 is stuck in low! This past weekend i had to replace my stop light switch, thanks to the forums for helping me diagnose and repair this issue .. When I was able to put my truck into gear afterwards i noticed that my low/high shifter was in neutral? I tried to get it into normal high gear for driving but had no luck, so i figure id try low just to get it moving again then switch back to high, well now my shifter **** moves back and forth effortlessly and my disco is stuck in low gear. Ive read other posts and seen mention of manual shifiting it into high to make it road drivable until i can get it fixed. Question is where and or how do i do this? Do I go from under the center counsel or from under the truck? Could I possibly have a broken linkage cable or is my shifter directly in the xfer case itself? I assmue that the stop light switch and this are unrelated issues and it is just dumb luck that both happen at same time. I have been looking into my RAVE maunel under section 41 about the xfer case but am finding it confusing to decipher where i need to start. Help would be appriciated.

Old 02-03-2013, 04:10 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Most likely the solenoid on the top of the t/case has failed. You can either replace it or remove it completely as long as you make sure your tranny is always in "N" when shifting the t/case.

Old 02-04-2013, 07:11 AM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Found the problem, Luckily it was just the lock ring that poped off the linkage, we found it laying on part of the undercarriage dbl luck! and were able to press it back on. Disco back on the road again, I still will replace the old ring but at least its drivable again. Thanks for the input