Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CDL Install, hi/low cable stuck in shifter housing

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 08:18 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default CDL Install, hi/low cable stuck in shifter housing

Hey guys,

I'm working on installing the CDL linkage in my 2001 D2. I figured while I had the center console removed to dry out the carpet (a different story) that I might as well install the CDL lever and linkage while the sealant cures. Well I have everything mostly apart, but have run into a bit of a snag. I have the clip that holds the hi/low cable into the shifter housing removed, but the actual cable grommet section that is supposed to come out will not budge. I've soaked it in WD40 for quite a while now (8 hours plus). I tried heat also, but don't want to get it too hot in case I melt the plastic sleeve the cable runs in.

Does anybody have any tricks for getting this thing out?

Name:  HighLowRear800x600.jpg
Views: 2072
Size:  94.2 KB

Name:  HighLowFront600x800.jpg
Views: 1528
Size:  109.6 KB

Old 04-07-2013, 08:42 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

I remember stuffing a cable in the tunnel under the console after removing the original shifter. I think it was the one above.

Old 04-07-2013, 08:58 PM
Mudding

The one in the picture above is for the hi/low and is still attached to the old shifter without the CDL mechanism. The one with the CDL mechanism in it I got from an '04, so I'll have to stuff 2 of those cables below the console once it's attached.

I just can't get the old cable out of the old shifter.

Old 04-08-2013, 06:35 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

Hammer and a punch. Work your way around the cable anchor, but that'll separate it. Once you've broken the corrosion bond, use a par of pliers to twist and pull it the rest of the way out.

Old 04-08-2013, 07:18 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

I had to put a little heat to the shifter bracket to get it out, but only the bracket not the cable. Also get yourself some penetrating oil like PB Blaster or liquid wrench, WD40 is a lubricant not a penetrating oil, its a common mistake.

Old 04-08-2013, 08:45 PM
Mudding

Thanks guys, I'll give that a try.

I just sprayed it down with PB Blaster and will let it soak for awhile.

Old 04-09-2013, 09:09 PM
Mudding

I soaked it for 24 hours in PB blaster. After that I tried going around the outside with a punch and hammer. Then tried hammering it out from the side with the clip. Still no luck. Tried heating it also with a torch, then hammering while warm. I went through a bunch of cycles of heating then hammering, then heating, etc. Still no luck. I'm debating cutting it out by cutting the old bracket with a hack saw (or pneumatic cutting wheel). It's soaking in PB again now. I've been at it for a couple hours now, so I think it's time to let it soak and call it for the night. Yikes, what a crazy thing. I've never seen something stuck so tight before.

Old 04-10-2013, 07:01 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

your not reusing the shifter so I guess you have nothing to lose if you cut the bottom of the bracket off.

Old 04-11-2013, 05:06 PM
Mudding

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I've had it soaking in PB since Tuesday. I won't have time to work on it again until early next week, so I'll try hammering out a bit more with the punch at that point. If it doesn't come out, though, the hacksaw will have it's way with it.

Old 04-15-2013, 10:20 PM
Mudding

Well, after soaking in penetrating oil for over a week and slowly hammering away at it with a punch and making no progress, I decided to go at it with an air saw.

Name:  100_1582_600x800.jpg
Views: 1351
Size:  400.8 KB

You can actually see some of the aluminum fused to the cable retainer. I had to chisel it off. Even with 1/4 of the housing missing it still won't budge. Tommorrow I plan on cutting the sides and around the bottom.

The good thing is that the saw goes through the aluminum like butter. The bad thing is that I really need to be careful so as not to cut the cable sleeve (hence the electrical tape guarding any small slippage).

I was reading some website about how steel corroded to aluminum can form a chemical bond as as strong as a weld. Yikes! I guess that's what happened here.

Hopefully the lake of penetrating oil on the bottom will help my progress tomorrow.

Quick Reply: CDL Install, hi/low cable stuck in shifter housing