Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'00 Discovery II - stopped dead in the rain

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 08:19 PM
Mudding
Received 66 Likes on 25 Posts
Question '00 Discovery II - stopped dead in the rain

Hello to the LR Collective!

It's been a while since I posted, because my Disco II has been running great, with minor adjustments needed but all my answers came from the forum searching different threads. But I come to you today with an odd one.

Today it was pouring rain, 2+ inches in less than an hour. Driving home in it after the truck sitting in the parking lot for about 2 hours in the same downpour. A couple of streets were flooded with about 6" of running water, so I took my time. Idiots coming toward me were driving full speed with waves of water everywhere. After one full splash the check engine light came on and the truck totally died for a split second, then restarted, traveled about 50 ft and did it again, dash lights flashing, then finally stopped. I rolled to the shoulder, flipped on the flashers, and tried to restart. It would start, run for about 3 seconds then die. Did that about 2 times, then it would not start at all. Finally pulled it home with almost no power. Checked the battery voltage (only 2 yrs on the battery), 10.8 volts. Oh and also, the key is stuck in the ignition, (ordered the replacement from Atlantic British, as it has done this before), and all the dash lights are on, including the "M" and "S" flashing at the bottom. My Ultra Gauge II was reading the code "1843".

Jumped it with my wife's Jetta TDI, and it started right up, 13.8 volts at the battery.

Key still stuck, and the dash lights will not go off, unless I turn on the headlights, then they go out. No headlights, dashlights all on. And no central locking. The alarm came on with the key fob, but not the locks.

Left for a meeting, came back 3 1/2 hours later (truck is sitting in the garage), dash lights out and it starts fine.

So, I know something got wet, and combined w/ the bad ignition switch, any ideas where to look? Need to get some direction on where to look for exposed connections or wires.

Truck otherwise is in amazing shape, everything works, no rust, looks and runs (usually) great!

Any thoughts our suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Alan Slightom, Indianapolis

Old 07-11-2017, 08:27 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,251 Likes on 1,669 Posts

Check and make sure your fuse box under the hood isn't getting wet. Also check your battery cables for good solid connections.

The following users liked this post:
H Hill (07-11-2017)
Old 07-11-2017, 08:30 PM
Mudding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Alternator?

Old 07-11-2017, 08:30 PM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by H Hill
Hello to the LR Collective!

It's been a while since I posted, because my Disco II has been running great, with minor adjustments needed but all my answers came from the forum searching different threads. But I come to you today with an odd one.

Today it was pouring rain, 2+ inches in less than an hour. Driving home in it after the truck sitting in the parking lot for about 2 hours in the same downpour. A couple of streets were flooded with about 6" of running water, so I took my time. Idiots coming toward me were driving full speed with waves of water everywhere. After one full splash the check engine light came on and the truck totally died for a split second, then restarted, traveled about 50 ft and did it again, dash lights flashing, then finally stopped. I rolled to the shoulder, flipped on the flashers, and tried to restart. It would start, run for about 3 seconds then die. Did that about 2 times, then it would not start at all. Finally pulled it home with almost no power. Checked the battery voltage (only 2 yrs on the battery), 10.8 volts. Oh and also, the key is stuck in the ignition, (ordered the replacement from Atlantic British, as it has done this before), and all the dash lights are on, including the "M" and "S" flashing at the bottom. My Ultra Gauge II was reading the code "1843".

Jumped it with my wife's Jetta TDI, and it started right up, 13.8 volts at the battery.

Key still stuck, and the dash lights will not go off, unless I turn on the headlights, then they go out. No headlights, dashlights all on. And no central locking. The alarm came on with the key fob, but not the locks.

Left for a meeting, came back 3 1/2 hours later (truck is sitting in the garage), dash lights out and it starts fine.

So, I know something got wet, and combined w/ the bad ignition switch, any ideas where to look? Need to get some direction on where to look for exposed connections or wires.

Truck otherwise is in amazing shape, everything works, no rust, looks and runs (usually) great!

Any thoughts our suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Alan Slightom, Indianapolis

Seems like an easy fix. That happened to me so many times. I dont even drive through when I see water near the curb. Just a splash will trigger the SES, but it will disappear when it dries. Your coils are not sealed properly. Sometimes after a strong rain even when not driving, you will get misfires. A splash on the road will generate a lot of steam when it hits the manifold and steam up your coils. Just make sure your coil boots are seated properly. Cheers

H Hill (07-11-2017)
Old 07-11-2017, 08:37 PM
Mudding

Thanks, I will do that. Just about 10K on a total rebuild, so probably connections are not tight. Would you recommend dielectric grease on the boots?

Old 07-11-2017, 08:39 PM
Mudding

Will do, "Best4x4". Battery cables on, clean and solid. Sprayed with the battery terminal spray from AutoZone. Will definitely check the fuse box. Thanks for your help!

Old 07-11-2017, 08:48 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 831 Likes on 605 Posts

The key not coming out of the ignition could also be the XYZ switch and not the ignition switch. Did it come out after things dried out? The XYZ connector could have been in harm's way with that much water.

Last edited by mln01; 07-12-2017 at 04:24 AM.
Old 07-11-2017, 08:52 PM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by H Hill
Thanks, I will do that. Just about 10K on a total rebuild, so probably connections are not tight. Would you recommend dielectric grease on the boots?
I dont use them since its grease. My idea of grease is to lubricate. It might pop out eventually due to vibration. The rubber boot itself seals it tight without grease. If I have to use grease, Ill get an O-ring like the illustration below and place a thin coat of dielectric grease so it will push the o ring up the tapered coil chimney and seal it tight on the coil boot. Just me.

Old 07-11-2017, 09:11 PM
Mudding
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Might want to check the Crankshaft Position Sensor as well. It sits pretty low and the sensor seems to be sensitive to liquid - mine set off the m and S lights when oil dripped down and got on the tip of the sensor. It also set off a code for the sensor though. Did it store any codes?

H Hill (07-12-2017)
Old 07-12-2017, 06:30 AM
Mudding

No codes stored, but I'll check the CPS. Thanks