Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

02 DISCO air bag rear suspension problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 12:06 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 DISCO air bag rear suspension problem

I'll make this as straight forward as possible. My wife has a 2002 Land Rover Discovery with the rear air suspension. It has 65k miles and has had the drivers side air bag replaced1 year ago. The passanger side was in very good shape and the dealer saw no need to replace so we didnt.
Thetruck can sit for days and not lose any air at all.However within a few minutes of driving it will air down to the bump stops. I climbed under the truck, sprayed soapy water all over the bags top to bottom and jump with all I had on the step up and the bumper. Suddenly I heard air escaping something and the sound was more of an echo or it seemed to be inclosed in something.I immediately jumped under the vehicle only to hear something snap shut like a check valve or door of some sorta and the sound disappear and the truck stoped dropping. So Then I respray the bags, lines (what I could see) and compresser. I also wrap the compresser housing with a wet rag to see if when I hear the sound it sounds much fainter than before. Well guess what? I cant get the thing to lose air to save my life. I even got my neighbor to help bounce up and down on the rear bumper. Keep in mind I am 245pds and he is about 250pds. Nothing its sitting perfectly straight and wont lose air now. As I said before I did it by myself and it happened pretty quick.
Either way, just to let you know the compresser is always able to air it back up after the truck is stopped. Sometimes it takes a couple of minutes to kick on but once on it does it pretty fast. So any help is appreciated. What ever it is I plan on doing the job myself. So I dont want to be trowing parts at it till I get it right. Just cant spend the kinda money I was spending before for maintenance.

Thank you for reading my post. Have a nice Sunday

Old 11-04-2007, 02:12 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts
Default RE: 02 DISCO air bag rear suspension problem

If it continues, get it into a shop that can read and reset the SLS system and you should be fine, it has just picked up a glitch that can be reset.

Old 11-04-2007, 08:44 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the advice. I'll be heading to the dealer this week.

Old 11-04-2007, 08:53 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Make sure you just have them read the codes and reset, no parts till you can go drive it for a few days. Dealer at this point will try and sell you parts that are not necessarily needed.