Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'02 disco, brakes and suspension for street?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 11:35 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '02 disco, brakes and suspension for street?

'02 Disco 67k miles. It will be time for brakes soon. Any recommendations for brakes and rotors? The truck will be driven around town probably 95% of the time. Do I replace wheel speed sensors at the same time?

Is it time for any suspension work, springs, shocks, etc.? If so, which springs and shocks. I've read several posts on both subjects. But, most responses are geared around off roading.

Old 11-09-2007, 02:41 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts
Default RE: '02 disco, brakes and suspension for street?

Have the rotors ever been replaced? Will you be doing the brake job?
If you are OK with the settled height of your truck and aren't going off road, I would replacing the shocks and steering stabilizer with Old Man Emu H.D. shocks. This will greatly improve the ride of the truck.

Old 11-09-2007, 03:02 PM
Drifting

I'm assuming the rotors have been replaced. I haven't had them checked. But it looks like they have a little lip at the edge. I saw your recommendation on the DBA rotors, pads,and lines. Is that overkill for my application? Of course drilled rotors are always cool.

I will probably have one of our Techs do the work(BMW Dealer). These guys are good and our employee labor rate is $25.00 per hour.So, it makes it quite reasonable, price wise with very little anxiety of someone messing up.

I'll take the advice on the OME shocks. The settled ride height is not an issue for my wife.However, I prefer the taller look. We'll see how that goes.

Old 11-09-2007, 03:48 PM
Administrator

For one of the better prices on the shocks, call Tony at Cerrones/LRRFourms.com at 650-365-4145.
I would leave the rotors alone, go to Auto Zone and buy a set of their ceramic brakes pads, they seem to be pretty decent.
I run the DBA's with Kevlar, but I do alot of trails and stuff wjere you need them, for your use it is not worth it.

Old 11-09-2007, 05:35 PM
ajh
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've gone DBA and it's worth it. I'm trying different pads, my set of EBC Yellow arrived today and once I get the rear hub I'm working on replaced I'll drop those in. Honestly changing pads is a quick job on these so don't worry about going through a sit a bit faster, they're not too expensive and increased braking is always good.

OME of Bilstein 7100's if you want a better ride but they're a bit more expensive.

Old 11-09-2007, 07:25 PM
Rock Crawling

go with ome md springs and bilstein shocks if youre going to spend a lot of time on the street. the 7100 in your case would be overkill. i just installed brembo rotors and ceremic pads on our range rover and am very pleased with the results.

Old 11-09-2007, 07:52 PM
Mudding

The Bilsteins are undoubtably good performance oriented shocks, but man are they pricey!! $120/corner through Auto Zone [&:]

I went with OME's at $80 ea. They are highly recommended for Disco's and they transformed my rig from a wallowing beast to a tight handling truck...great value! [sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 11-09-2007, 07:54 PM
Mudding

Oh, and theOME shockscome in hard, Medium or Soft...go with the Mediums for street.

Old 11-09-2007, 08:41 PM
Rock Crawling

the bilsteins through roverconnection.com are $340 or $85 each

Old 11-10-2007, 08:02 AM
Administrator

ORIGINAL: Fonzie

Oh, and the OME shocks come in hard, Medium or Soft...go with the Mediums for street.
OME's don't come in hard medium or soft, they come as standard, which don't hold up well or Heavy duty which you really want to handle the weight of your truck.
By the way, the Bilsteins also have a life time warranty.

Quick Reply: '02 disco, brakes and suspension for street?