Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

02 Disco SE7 oil leak and maint. questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 01:09 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 Disco SE7 oil leak and maint. questions

I have a 02 Disco II, I picked up from my sister because dealer was going to give them low trade in ...anyway it has 59k and been on two major trips since owning it D.C. and Houston. On my Houston trip while in Houston the u-joints snapped and had everything fixed at Land Rover of Houston as well as all fluidschanged for total bill of 3200.00, now while driving back from Houston my "SERVICE ENGINE" light came on solid and stopped to check gas cap, which is what dealer told me to do on the phone, and to drive for a while and should go off if that was it. Well got back to Dallas and took it to Land Rover of Frisco, they said it was purge valve ..no problem had it replaced and light is off now..BUT ..I also told them that I noticed some oil onmy garage floor they told me it was my headgaskets..

Well the thing is that I don'tdrive it but maybe 4-7 days a month because I am gone for work so it usually sits in the garage and someone from my family usually takes it to the dealer for me I have always had everything done at Land Rover..and this is the first time the engine light has ever come on period since I have owned it or my sister.
I donot mind paying for it to be fixed I just want to make sure that I am paying for the right thing to be fixed...My brother seems to think that it is not my headgasket and that it is my valve covers...I called a local LandRover/Jaguar repair ship Motorcars LTD and was quoted a price 1K less than LandRover..

Was wondering if anyone has had any experience with Motorcars and I am curious what other problems I should expect to see around 60k..I am expecting to have replace the following soon

- o2 sensors
-cats
-maf sensor

Any help on what I should be looking for would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Old 11-02-2007, 06:36 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 02 Disco SE7 oil leak and maint. questions

Well PXM, I would have told you that the first thing you should do is change out your front u-joints that aren't greasable with greasable u-joints, but it looks like you already found out about that issue.

The first thing your usual rover dealership wants to say when you bring your truck in at that mileage is, "probably your headgaskets. We can change all of your gaskets for 1200 bucks". The best way to tell you are needing headgaskets is coolant-loss. Are you losing coolant, yet not finding any on the ground? Another way is coolant in your oil (sometimes you can pull the dipstick, and smell coolant on it and see foamy deposits), and coolant in your exhaust. Poor engine performance also. If you aren't getting any of that, you don't need head gaskets.

My'03 had leaky valve covers. you will see the oil seepage around your valve covers if that is where it is coming from. I changed them myself, and while I was in there changed out my wires and plugs. Also, your throttle body has coolant hoses running to an air pre-heater below it, it will leak over time and deposit coolant on your driver's side valve cover. The part is 15 dollars. If you see the residue there you can change that out while the manifold is off (or the shop that you take it to can). Do a search for 60k services on this board, there is a nice list to follow, make sure that the land rover of Houston did all of that.

I can't tell you anything about Motorcars, except I think they are sponsors of this board

Some other people will reply more info to your post, so check back!

Good luck

Old 11-02-2007, 07:04 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

I doubt that the head gaskets are leaking oil, I mean they can but it is more common for them to leak coolant if anything. I would suggest you go power scrub the engine at your local do it yourself car wash, get all the old residue off the engine and then watch and see where and what you are leaking. By the way, is it an actual drip type leak or just some seepage?
If it is head gaskets, shop around, you can get them done for around $1400, using all Rover parts.

Old 11-02-2007, 08:29 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its an acutal drip leak which after occures when it sits for 2-3 weeks in the garage never more than about a 1/2 ounce of fluid though, it is never noticeable whendriving it around town then parking iton a daily basis, just when it sitsand I did check the oil level on the dipstick it is was not low..I will clean it up though and see if I can spot anything.

any advice on my O2 sensors, or Cats? or should I just go with the "If it ain't broke ..." line..

Old 11-02-2007, 11:02 PM
Mudding

Sounds like you're good man. +1 on DiscoMike's advice.

Every 75000 miles is the round number most people use for o2s. I don't hear alot of ppl talk about having to change out cats unless they have damaged them or the exhaust bracketing. Your MAF will last for a while too.. I don't hear of those going bad quite easily. Just don't try to clean it

Old 11-03-2007, 06:50 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

I still say, power scrub the engine, top and bottom so you can track the leak. As for your other question, leave the cats, 02's and MAF along.
By the way, you may want to replace your plug wires sooner then later. At your mileage they are getting tired, less voltage, less spark means less performance. When you get ready, install a set of 8mm Magnacor's.

Old 11-03-2007, 12:55 PM
TReK

I have not had any work done at Motorcars of Dallas, I have
talked to them and gone by to check them out, and they seem
to know whats going on.

I have used North Texas Rovers (972-869-4881)
and have had good luck they also are involved with the Land Rover
club here in Dallas.
One of the guys at North Texas Rovers has a D110 also, so
its not just a job.